The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New to the forum, looking at this car. need advice

click

first off, please dont swoop on this car! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Ive always wanted a Galant VR4, and my lil cousin has been bugging me to find him an EVO. I like EVO's but Ive always wanted a galant vr4.

Anyways, Im wondering first off if this car has been here before? Is there any difference between the 2000 VR4s that were "US market" vs the 1000 that were "Japanese imports" ?

If I can get this car, Im wondering how I can keep it as close to stock but still get some more out of it. It says its got a custom exhaust, but that it also passes CA emissions, so I cant imagine it has anything more than a 3" exhaust. Goal would be to get somewhere between 250-300bhp. If I could have some sort of switchable program between Xpsi and XXpsi that would be awesome. What do they run for boost stock? Also, IIRC they are 16G turbos? Im pretty much a newbie, but I have a friend whos a big DSM guy and Ive tried to learn as much as I can from him. Its been hard to get info from him lately because he's been on tour for years now.

I'll probably ask more questions later, but this should be a good start.

Oh and will 20" wheels fit? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

-Simon

turbowop

All 3000 USDM GVR4's are "Japanese imports". All of them were built in Japan.

Stock boost is 11psi if it isn't being restricted back to 9psi due to the knock sensor activating the BCS.

Stock turbo is a 14b.

Please for the love of GAWD don't mount 20" wheels on a GVR4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif IMO, anything North of 18" is hideous and I even think 18's look too big.

raptorWagon

You really don't need any bigger than a 3" exhaust if you were thinking going bigger. DSMs are one thing and GVR4s are another, very similar, but they do have their differences. One, being they are built in Japan, not in the US like DSMs.

Before you even get into tuning or modding, make sure it's actually been maintained pretty well and if anything needs fixing, to get that done before upgrading other parts.

The most you can run on the stock 450cc injectors is 15lbs, before you run out of fuel.

transparentdsm

anything north of 15" rims is to big for me unless your putting a huge brake kit in there and even then 17" would cover it... 250-300 hp can be accomplished with little to no effort and almost no mods on these cars.. make sure every hose, clamp, vacuum line and gasket are good, do a compression test. then a full tune up and fluid flushing.. find out when timing was last done, if it has the balance shafts in it or not. what kind of head gasket and head studs does it have? does 4ws work? where and how was it deleted if it was? when was the clutch done? does it grind going into any gears? is it the original transmission? is it a VR4 trans or a 1G DSM? there are millions of questions to ask.. keep searching on here and find as many problem and questions that you could ask the person selling it and see what they know about the car... because it can go from a 3000$ car to a 2000$ real fast when they don't know any information on the car. i bought one a while ago and the guy wanted 3000 for it. i went and saw it and asked him about 45 questions. when he could only answer 20 or so of them with answers i liked i then offered him 1800 stating that he didn't know enough about the car to ask 3000 for it and 1800 was my best offer. he said no so i walked away... i got as far as my drivers door when he ran out from the house with the title signed saying ill take 1800.. remember, no matter how much you want one don't settle for something your not sure on.. there will be more and for 3000, you could even save for like 4 months and spend 4200 and find something with a full history from one of the amazing gentlemen on this forum... im not saying don't buy it. im just saying ask questions and do not settle for something unless your ready to live with your decision..

Jesus_Negros

Dubs!

Noobsauce

Donk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

c1971cf1.jpg

thanks for the replies!

first off the 20" wheel was a complete joke. I read the first thread for newbies and that actually came up so I thought what better way to get under your skin than ask the #1 question that would drive you guys crazy. who the hell puts 20" wheels on anything! bah!

in all honesty if my E30 sells im going to keep my SSR wheels and see what i would need to do to make them fit. problem is they are 4x100 and these cars are 4x114.3 (right?). not sure if you can fill and redrill forged wheels, but i love these wheels and if it wont work, ill just hold on to thm until i have anothe 4x100 car. 16" wheels that weigh 11# each? ummm yea, ill hang onto them.

good to know that a 3" exhaust is plenty, i cant imagine the car has anything larger than that i doubt it even has a 3" probably a 2.5 or something.

are the injectors high or low impedance?

side mount intercooler good enough for the extra power im looking for?

SouthCaliVR4

Dsm's run a side mount vr4's run a front mount. I doubt you'd get a side mount to fit. Though it wouldn't take much to improve on the stock intercooler. It has always reminded me of an over sized oil cooler.

it has a front mount! awesome! i assumed it had a side mount stock. but you make it sound like the front mount isnt much.

Last edited by a moderator:

mitsuturbo

It's not a front mount like you'd think.

If you've ever seen an early supra (stock) front mounted IC, think of that, and cut it into about 1/3. Put that behind a small hole in the bumper (about 2.5" by 5") and there's your airflow to the awesome FMIC the gvr4 came equipped with standard.

oh wow! haha i guess my mod list would be a proper FMIC, probably some bigger injectors and something around a bar of boost. what are the suspension options? is there a place i should be looking to find these answers?

also, owner of the car responded. 4WS still works, exhaust is stock with a magnaflow muffler and 150k on the motor. waiting on more pics

raptorWagon

Lol, the search function does wonders, but yeah search in the How-to section for the various Suspension options such as the Evo 8/9 setup.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts