The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Personal Best with 1837

sy1100

I miss my Syclone.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

GSTwithPSI

Thanks for all the comments, guys. I appreciate the positive feedback.

Ryan, I didn't get a look under the hood of the Syclone. I don't think the guy ever even got out of the truck. It was super clean, though. He obviously let out of it at the end of the 1/4 for some reason when he was running with me. I saw him run a 10-something later that day.

desant78

Brett, congrats on the improvement!! I can't wait to next season when you can really see what the car had! It's funny how you complained about the welded center, because I think that's the only reason you had such a smooth ride home!

Anyway, sorry to hear about failure at the track, cant wait to see what it was.

desant78

Quoting turbowop:
And if you drove it home like that, the viscous coupling in the trans is probably toast now.

Does the VCU do anything or serve any purpose when the center diff is already welded? Just curious, because my understanding is that any effects of the VCU on the driveline are negated by the welded diff.

fuel

^^ correct if your center diff is welded then the VCU does nothing.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I see you are planning a 4 bolt, but I have spare standard 3-bolt axles if you need some in the interim.

transparentdsm

good call, Brett i did just do a 4 bolt swap in my pumpkin. i have the rear and both axles out of the car. you can have them for shipping cost.

turbowop

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Yeah, this trans has a welded diff in it.

Oh, well sh*t. That's why you made it home then. I was actually surprised that a VCU could last a drive that long with a broken rear axle. That explains it.

Last edited:

prove_it

That's also what could have caused the rear to break on a sub 400hp car.

desant78

Also Brett, if the car is going to sit for a while, make sure to clean out the fuel injectors before doing so. e85 is nasty when it just sits in your fuel injector for extended periods of time. Hope to see the car running soon!

GSTwithPSI

Quoting transparentdsm:
good call, Brett i did just do a 4 bolt swap in my pumpkin. i have the rear and both axles out of the car. you can have them for shipping cost.

Yeah, I saw that thread. I'm really torn on whether or not I want to keep the 4WS and swap the 4 bolt rear into the 3 bolt pumpkin. On one hand, I'd like to keep the 4WS since it's complete, doesn't leak (yet), and functions flawlessly. I also don't want to f*** with welding the trailing arms, so there's that as well.

On the other hand, last time I was hanging out with Sal, he was telling me about a track day he was doing with his Evo. It really made me want to bring the Galant out. I can only imagine the 4WS would make that a nightmare...But I've never really pushed the car under those conditions to see how it responds/handles with the 4WS. Maybe some of you guys have tracked with 4WS? Thoughts?

Regarding the breakage, I have no idea how it happened. Traction was complete sh*t, and I didn't see a single car hook all day. I've launched the car way harder on warmer days, so maybe it was just a failure waiting to happen. Work has been stupid busy, so I haven't even had a chance to look at it since Sunday night to even determine what broke. The new trans has a welded diff in it as well. I'm not gonna lie, the welded diff sucks complete ball sack for anything but straight track racing. But, since that's mostly what I use the car for, it makes it hard to get rid of.

Quoting desant78:
Also Brett, if the car is going to sit for a while, make sure to clean out the fuel injectors before doing so. e85 is nasty when it just sits in your fuel injector for extended periods of time. Hope to see the car running soon!

Yeah, the plan is to swap back to pump gas before the winter.

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

Well, found the problem.

WP_003304.jpg

WP_003313.jpg

WP_003310.jpg

WP_003307.jpg

WP_003308.jpg

WP_003314.jpg

WP_003315.jpg

desant78

that's getting off lucky!!

prove_it

That's what I thought it would be, seeing how you always have trouble with your shaft.....

GSTwithPSI

Well, I know I said I was done for the season, but I lied. Breaking an axle on the second pass last time I was at the track kept me from tapping into the car's full potential, which really sucked. Not only that, but I really wanted to push the car on the bastard 20G just to see what it was capable of, especially on E85. So, I figured what the hell, I'd hit the track up one last time before the snow files.

So, once again I drove the sh*t box an hour to Capitol to make a few passes. The high temperature was only 45* today, so I wasn't incredibly hopeful that I'd get out of the hole on a cold ass track. Turns out, the track prep guys were on their A game today, and that sh*t was sticky as f***. Of the half dozen times I've been there, the track has never been prepped that good, IMO. I was cutting 1.7 60's all day. First, let me say, I'm far from a pro driver. And second, I'm on Dunlop Direzza DZ101's at ~30psi...Not exactly a racecar recipe for good launches. The track was honestly just prepped really damn good. With consistent 1.7 60' foot times, the car ran 12.2's all day. The best pass was 12.1 @ 117.

Boost was peaking at around 28psi dropping to 26 at redline. Timing was still super conservative at 17* peak. There was plenty of room for more boost and timing, but before I got a chance to mess with the tune the car broke.

Somehow, 2 blades broke off of my brand new SPAL fan, which knocked a hole in the radiator. The car started pissing water everywhere, so I had to call it quits. I had one of my buddies grab some gas tank repair epoxy from the nearby parts store, and patched it up so I could limp the car an hour home. The is the second time I've had a SPAL fan that blades busted off of. It happened at the track BOTH times too, so IDK WTF is going on with that. It sucks, because the radiator and fan were damn near brand new.

Pretty much no fucks given that the car is broke, though. A new personal best isn't a bad way to end the season, broken car or not. I honestly think the car has a 11 second pass in it as it's current configured. With a better trans, I know it's an 11 second car as is. But, with plans to have the new 68HTA in new year, I'm not sure if I'll get another opportunity to push the car like it sits right now. I guess we'll see what next year has in store.

Per the usual, here's a photo dump of the day and some video of the 12.2 pass. There are a few shots of my buddy Dan's Talon and MK3 Supra as well.

1837 going 12.2

WP_003372.jpg

img.php

DSC01295.JPG

DSC01296.JPG

DSC01282.JPG

DSC01284.JPG

DSC01285.JPG

DSC01294.JPG

DSC01289.JPG

WP_003368.jpg

WP_003369.jpg

WP_003370.jpg

DSC01288.JPG

DSC01292.JPG

DSC01293.JPG

DSC01290.JPG

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Something must be twisting/flexing/distorting to allow the blades to make contact with something.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts