The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New paint

91GSR

hey at least on the vr4 they color match the damn mirrors. on my gsr the mirrors were black, but i got a set of white vr4 mirrors to match it. i would have just painted mine, but one was broken anyway so i just replaced them. cant beat a 15 minute replace job with a more than day long paint project lol

mountaineerjeff

my door handles match????
(1630 is black, lol)

turbowop

Quoting 14bCrazy:

Man that car is uggggglllllyyyyy!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Srsly. That's why I leave it in the garage most of the time. It's embarrassing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsdunno.gif

mountaineerjeff

Quoting jepherz:
^^^ Black w/ metallic != plastic satin black /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

yeah im kinda upset about that, does anyone have a satin black vr4? I think I might go for it. I know everyone likes to lean toward their stock color, but Im gonna take 1630 under the radar and black it out. just on the fence about none-gloss black, if done badly it looks like crappy primer.

Im a big fan of flat-black cars. Road Warrior style. The first one i did i used crappy cheap paint and didnt put enough on. It was my first time and i didnt know that much at the time. The couple of cars i did after turned out much better. IF you do it, use a quality auto paint. Sherwin Williams' auto paint isnt that bad. A couple guys i know painted their race cars with a single stage paint. It wasnt great but by no means horrible. Prep and sanding are key. It doesnt hurt to have access to a spray booth either.

mountaineerjeff

id get it done proffessionally

GVR-4

Went to the guy's place today and dropped off the door handles. He's going to paint them the body color too. He said as long as he has adhesion promoter in the gun, he may as well paint the molding that fits in the side cladding and bumper covers so it will match the body color too. I am confident it will look really nice, but it won't be done soon. That's ok with me. I'd rather wait longer and have it turn out really nice. Thanks for the tip on painting the handles, guys.

BoostedAWD91

We need a board member to get a paint booth so we can all get our cars repainted at a cheaper price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

turbowop

Personally, I like the chrome strip that runs around the car in the moldings, but that's pretty much up to the owner of the car.

I'm glad you're doing the door handles, as that's better looking no matter who you talk to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jared50438

depending on the color of your car and what look you are going for. in mine im taking the crome out and im going to go with black.

Nate

White cars shouldn't need to get painted unless they get banged up. That white Galant was so easy to make look really good, and I had to put minimal effort into it. It looked good with the white door handles, but I had to respray the parts around the windows, as they were white when I got it, which looked butt ugly. :)

BoostedAWD91

yeah my car was repainted pearl white by the previous owner and most of it looks good still but the trunk is all faded already, the roof is all cracking apart and the hood doesnt match.

pachood_1953

Quoting BoostedAWD91:
We need a board member to get a paint booth so we can all get our cars repainted at a cheaper price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

If anybody ever needs something painted, I can pretty much do it. BUT, a complete car is a little much when Im working 45 hours at the body shop, and another 10-15 a week at the helmet shop (We do custom work on helmets, my buddy is an ex-indy race car driver who has been doing this for ~35 years, and I now work with him every night helping out)

I can paint anything I want at the helmet shop, but his booth isnt quite as clean as a professional booth...Once summer rolls around Iam going to spend a day cleaning it up as it probably hasnt been cleaned in a year.

My boss only lets me bring in my own vehicles/parts into work, so I could only get away with little things here and there, but little parts shouldnt really matter if there is a few nibs.

G

Staff member
^ You have any experience with glasurit?

pachood_1953

Afraid not. At the body shop we use Akzo nobel Sikkens. In college, (and personal use) I used Dupont (and its lesser brand nason), and PPG. At the helmet shop we always use House of kolors...They sponsor our race cars so thats where I started using their materials.

4wheelsqueal

With a few week notice, i could give you hand, pachood. Used to work in a body shop, doing prep work.

curtis

Dave your going to have to change your signature. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sean92AWD

Quoting G:
^ You have any experience with glasurit?

I never like spraying glasurit it seemed too always orange peel and not lay flat. I sprayed Sikkens at the shop i managed and its probably the best out there.

G

Staff member
Yeah i hear glasurit takes more skill & special gun techniques to get it down right. But from what i've seen it's the best out there when applied by shops that know it's nuance's.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts