The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New paint

GVR-4

Well after owning my VR-4 since 2001 I'm finally having it painted. I've been slowly putting Christmas and birthday money into it over the years to address maintenance and performance, but this year it will be a much needed paint job. It will probably take the guy about six weeks to finish, but I think it will be worth it. Color will be the same Belize Green. I'll post pics once it's done. Below is a before photo.

14u2nV

Sounds like fun, can't wait till I'm ready to paint one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Polish

One of the best mods you can do, congrats. It will look great I'm sure.

cspetros

Turn dat beast into a beauty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif. Its good that you're keeping the Belize. It's original, and I can't imagine the price tag for a paint job where all the door jambs, etc. have to be painted. Good luck.

Last edited:

I like the belize green. A fresh coat of paint and some clear and you'll be golden.

I've seen those maaco jobs. If you go that route, do the prep yourself. You're better off. Otherwise they paint glass and seals.

If you like JDM bumpers grab some before paint so you dont have to redo stuff.

GVR-4

^^ I would like at least a front JDM bumper, but that's at least another $500. Not in the budget.

Quoting HHIVR4:
If they are keeping the car 6 weeks you can bet they are going to jamb it.

The guy painting it is a friend of mine's dad who was laid off from a dealership. He teaches paint and body at a community college part time and does paint and body part time. He's gonna do all the prep at his home (in a very nice heated 2 1/2 bay garage) and then shoot it in the paint booth at the college. He is not doing the jambs, but both bumpers, door handles, lock cylinders, lights, spoiler and roof trim have been removed. He said he will repair a tear in the front bumper cover, do all the body work, prime it where needed, seal it, shoot base and then clear (two heavy coats of clear). He's also replacing the (hideous IMO) chrome molding with black. The trunk emblems have been removed and I have '91 tail lights on it (it's a '92). He said he would do it for $1200 and I told him I would pay him $2000, which is still a good deal.

turbowop

Do the door handles while you're at it. Looks so much nicer color-matched than black.

Also, adding a JDM bumper later on is easy, and doesn't affect the rest of the paintjob at all. Even if the color is off a hair, it's not nearly as noticeable as something like a fender that's not perfectly matched to a door right next to it.

GVR-4

Quoting turbowop:
Do the door handles while you're at it. Looks so much nicer color-matched than black.

Also, adding a JDM bumper later on is easy, and doesn't affect the rest of the paintjob at all. Even if the color is off a hair, it's not nearly as noticeable as something like a fender that's not perfectly matched to a door right next to it.

Door handles, inner part of the grill, and window trim will all be painted in satin black.
headbang.gif
headbanger.gif

turbowop

I meant to paint the door handles body color, so they blend in. Looks better that way, IMO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hs.gif

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
I color matched the handles on my grey car and I agree with turbowop, it's one of the better exterior mods you can do. I left the plastic trim behind the handles black. Look like '02 bmw handles now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BoostedAWD91

Color matching the door handles definatly makes the car look alot better in my opinion. I have my door handles painted to match the car.
here what mine looks like

GVR-4

I see, Mark. That does look good. I'll have to consider it.

turbowop

It's subtle on a green car, but is quite the improvement. I also left the plastic pieces behind mine black.

I don't understand why Mitsu didn't color match them on these cars in the first place. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Even on a black car painting the handles was in improvement. I'd recommend it. Then they don't fade or get wax residue on them.

14bCrazy

Quoting turbowop:
It's subtle on a green car, but is quite the improvement. I also left the plastic pieces behind mine black.

I don't understand why Mitsu didn't color match them on these cars in the first place. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Man that car is uggggglllllyyyyy!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts