The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New owner of 313/1000!

xaisomboun

So hey guys, allow me to introduce myself, my name is Jeff and I had just purchased 313 from an awesome Mr. Man named Charlie!

So far I friggen love the car! I used to drive a 94 Teggy around daily and this is just a complete change that I kind of like!

But a thing that bothers me just a little bit is the engine bay. Me and my brother were looking through it just to find mangled wires, unconnected ones, and just random various things. We even found a left-over wrench in there!

How would I start to find out what half these connections are for? Im kind of a newbie when it comes to DSM's cause I've just been studying Honda's for the longest time. Could anyone lead me the right way into researching more about my car and what I could do to improve it?

Right now I am not sure if I would want to drive it long distances since I just got the car and don't know much about it. Could any of the previous owners (including Charlie if he ever comes on here anymore ;D) give me a more in depth tear-down of the car? Cause everytime I come to a stop it seems like it wants to die and stall, but catches itself last moment.

So yeah theres my introduction!

curtis

Ok first not DSM's, not going to beat you up about it they'll be 30 more that will /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Use the search button above...sometimes a pain but if you do stuff like

plug +harness -Re: will get you all posts with the word plug and harness and only start threads not entire posts with 25 reply's. Then there's the stickies on the top of each section and then the How to archives. Sit and read, lots of times you see who posted more about electrical, mechanical, drivetrain, etc etc then you'll learn to do searches using that members name in the search to narrow things down.

First thing to do is pull the ecu see if the caps have been replaced, buy a new tensioner and change the timing belt and check for boost leaks either at the IC pipes and also at the head to manifold/manifold to turbo etc etc. A sealed system works alot better.

Then there's membership dues all new members must send paypal payments to all the admins and moderators for beer except Ryan and he prefers hookers and blow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Just messing welcome aboard.

2of9

Good to know a fellow Minnesotan having one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Post up some pictures of the car ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ) and the excess wires. If you're stuck or stumped, use the search because it has helped me out ALOT in the past.

+1 Curtis, these are not DSMs but the engine/trans are all the same as the 1G (89-92ish) Do it the right way and the Galant is gonna one hell of DD. I've daily drove mine YEAR ROUND for 4 years without a leak or major issues. If you need any help, feel free to come here and ask. Also, if you need some local stuff, check out Mitsustyle.com

Welcome to the board and grats on the purchase. As stated earlier post up some pics of the engine bay, we can try to help you through it. As for the problem with the car dying when coming to a stop, what kind of BOV (blow off valve), is on the car? If aftermarket that could be the problem if it is not recirculated back in to the intake.

I suggest this to all newbies make sure and read this website
VfaQ

Jesse

OMFGeofffff

Welcome. Whereabouts in MN are you? If you can't post pictures I know there's a few guys including myself that can come hang out and try looking over those wires for ya.

xaisomboun

Im located around the Bloomington area so not far from you!

Ill try to post pictures soon of the engine bay and the various mangled wires it has. Me and my brother just replaced the radiator fan with a new one since the old one seemed to be all rusty and didnt even spin when we took it out! But the thing thats kinda ghetto rigged is that we didnt know if the temperature sensor for it still worked so we hooked it up to one of the unused foglight plugs! That way I can just turn it off and on as I please, but not without turning on the main headlights lol.

And yes I bought the car knowing it has been in an accident before! If I didnt know that, I would've never thought it was in one before because its so... clean!

As for the BOV, I am thinking it MIGHT be stock? Im not sure what a stock one looks like but ill be sure to post up pictures tomorrow! A good friend of mine says the idle could be a vacuum leak, and on another thread I read here says it could be just resetting the ECU and cleaning the MAF sensor. Although the idle issue isn't THAT big of a problem, my main concern is with replacing the caps on the ECU. Ill try to find time to crack it open tomorrow and see if it has or not!

Thanks for all the info guys, I really appreciate it and it makes me love this car even more!

Nartanian

Nice pick up! I'm in the Bloomington area as well. Look forward to seeing it in person.

Last edited:

GSX_TC

If you can just see if the bov if recirculating back into the intake tract that would answer the question of the idle prob.

xaisomboun

Couldnt get any pictures today, but from what I see it looks like the BOV is recirculated back into the intake!

OMFGeofffff

Your BISS may be screwed too far in. Try adjusting your idle per the VFAQ.

xaisomboun

Just remembered, Im sure there isnt suppose to be a hole in the valve cover is there? Its a very small hole on the left side that is blowing out air lol.

There should be a line attached from the side of the VC to the Intake.

You can see in one of my old engine bay pics that line is flipped in the air, not really suppose to be flipped up like that but you can tell where it go's to.

l_20761291fc91d95b92d6a542fb7d716a.jpg

Jesse

xaisomboun

Random wires!

The hole on the valve cover goes to...

here??

Ghetto rigged plug with a bolt!

Unplugged horn. I tried plugging it in but theres no wires behind the steering wheel to plug it into the aftermarket wheel.

xaisomboun

Also, what is this? My guess is its a temperature sensor for the radiator fan.. atleast thats what my friend told me who was a previous DSM owner. Im not sure if it still works or not and if I connected it properly to the new radiator fan.

Well i can help with the last three pics. First the intake that is plugged just remove the plug, and run a line from the intake to the VC, you will need the small metal tube the goes from the line to the VC, if you don't have one you can post up a WTB thread, I’m sure you can find one for a couple bucks, if i can find an extra ill pm you and send you one.

Second to last pic someone may have blocked off the AWS, and rather than using a T/E/L reservoir they just blocked off the stock one.

Last pic is your factory alarm horn. The horn for the steering wheel mounts on the front of the car behind the front bumper.

Hope it helps
Jesse

xaisomboun

Sorry for the pic overload guys, this is the last one I swear!

Are these wires suppose to be connected to the white plug? The car came with them just hanging and the white plug is the closest connection I could find. What would the other half of the white plug be called?

And thanks Jesse!

Last edited:

yeti

That's the a/c temp sensor or something to do with the a/c but mines not connected and from the diagrams I've seen it does not matter unleashed u have air conditioning

dlesser

For the thermostat housing wires:

Blue/Black, single wire sensor, A/C Condenser Fan, Normally open

Green/Red and Green/Black, 2 wire sensor, A/C Clutch lockout, Normally closed

Green/Black and Yellow/Green, 2 wire sensor, ECU Temperature sensor, variable ohm reading

Yellow/Green, single wire sensor, Cluster temp gauge, variable ohm reading.

Plug on the top is the two wire AC Clutch Lockout
Plug towards the firewall is the single wire A/C Condenser Fan plug
Plug towards the front of the car, that is two wires is your ECU Temperature sensor.
Plug towards the front of the car, that is 1 wire is your Cluster temp gauge.

Hope this helps. I found the wire color info on this forum and I looked through the service manual to determine which sensor went to which wire. I hooked mine up two days ago because I had it wrong and now my AC fan works correctly. I removed my radiator fan and went slim so I have a switch for that.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts