The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New owner of 221/2000. Questions!

Tisquantum

Hello again my friends. I purchased 221/2000 a few weeks ago and a week later took it to THeDSMGuy to have the blown headgasket replaced and to get a reliable turbo onto it. As this is the second GVR4 I have owned, I feel I got a great deal and am eagerly awaiting the call the she is done from Paul. It has been over a decade since I last owned a GVR4, I was previoulsy the user blk_gvr4, but that account must have lapsed.

Here is a list of modifications(*Came with car at time of purchase, **Came uninstalled, being installed now):
ECMLink running SD
AEM tru boost
MHI E3 Big16g
Scirocco radiator and matched fans
* RC550
BC 272 cams
** FP race turbo manifold,
ETS race core FMIC
Tial bv
* COP igtnition
* poly motor mounts
* AEM 320lph fuel pump
* aeromotive FPR
* -6 AN lines from hard lines
* full 3"
**ACT 2600
**ACT racelight flywheel
**4 Bolt LSD rear end
Rear steering removed and fixed
Almost all poly bushings
* Adjustable KYB
* GC coil overs(will be replaced ASAP)
5-lug conversion
3kgt brakes ABS delete
Powersteering removed
Manual steering rack
Cruise control removed
A/C removed

I am sure I am forgetting some stuff.

I will be running speed density and want to make sure I get the most out of the Big16g until I upgrade it down the road. I will be assembling a fully built 2.1 liter long block and fitting a MUCH larger turbo next spring, along with all the supporting drive train modifications.

My question is this: should I invest for now in a 68 HTA and 1150s or just get sightly larger injectors for the Big16g. The ONLY reason I am not jumping on the 68 right now is my concern over the strength of the bottom end.

Guide me!

car_guy

I still have a stock long block. I can't speak to the difference between a Big 16g and 68HTA because I went straight to the 68. But I can tell you that the 68 is great even at 18-20 psi! There is very little lag and it has been a ton of fun so far. Had to order an upgraded clutch to allow me to push it any further. My question is why would you buy a 68 for the winter, just so that you can turn around an buy a "MUCH larger turbo" next spring. What do you think you are going to be doing over the winter to take advantage of the small gains you would get moving from the Big 16g to the 68HTA? My recommendation would be to just stick with what you have until you get your 2.1 ready.

Tisquantum

I suppose I didn't fully explain the second motor in my first posst. The second engine/trans/transfercase combination will be swapped in for specific events until we snag a second GVR4 at which time the 68 motor will most likely going into which ever chassis is daily driver.

As for the reasons I would get a 68 now: First I am an Oregonian, winter, summer, mars,all the same difference to me. Second the Big16g is a used unit and I do desire reliabiity. The biggest reason I would go to a 68 now is MORE POWER, right?

So what is the excpeted max output for a stock bottom end?

Tisquantum

So, after much time spent deep in thought about my above mentioned dilemma, I have decided to get some FIC 1100s and the 68 HTA and run them on the motor I have now. I can't wait for Paul and his crew to be ready!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned