The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Owner of 1837/2000

Brett Adams' Galant VR-4

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Looking good as usual. I really like the magazine montage. I should get a print copy. I wonder if it may still be on the news stand being the last.

turbowop

Looks great. In The News did mine too back in the day. They do nice work. Mine hangs in the garage now next to the car.

I'm surprised you went to the smaller diameter slave with the twin. I actually preferred the larger one since it required less throw. Then again, my twin was an old, non-gear drive Quartermaster. Maybe they release a bit different. With my single I'm back to the red 3/4" slave.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting bobdole:
Looks super nice.

Thanks, Charles. Digging the new Delica!

Quoting CutlassJim:
What are the sources of the two different slave cylinders?

The green is OEM, the new one I picked up from RockAuto.

Quoting iceman69510:
Looking good as usual. I really like the magazine montage. I should get a print copy. I wonder if it may still be on the news stand being the last.

Doubt it, but you may get lucky. I tried to pick up a few copies late in the month and they dried up quick.

Quoting turbowop:

Looks great. In The News did mine too back in the day. They do nice work. Mine hangs in the garage now next to the car.

I'm surprised you went to the smaller diameter slave with the twin. I actually preferred the larger one since it required less throw. Then again, my twin was an old, non-gear drive Quartermaster. Maybe they release a bit different. With my single I'm back to the red 3/4" slave.

Pedal pressure was never an issue, so the travel is what I was after. It's a struggle to drive on the street with the twin sometimes. I was just trying to get some extra travel, which I hoped would make it a bit more tame. It definitely helped, but it's still a bitch in heavy traffic, and stop and go. I do miss the drivability of the single disc setups, but then again, I don't really drive the car enough for it to really bother me. It does shift like butter at 9k, so there's that as well...

slugsgomoo

Brett, have you put a 2g accumulator on your car? With the 2g FWD slave, and the accumulator, it slows it down and gives you a bigger window so you get some actual feel. People who haven't driven a twin still had problems driving my car smoothly at first, but it's definitely much easier once you get a couple miles with it. The hardest part was that I bought a brand new accumulator, and the OEM hydraulic line is NLA so I had to make my own. I'm SS to the accumulator, and then hard lines on the accumulator & accumulator to slave for mine.

GSTwithPSI

I knocked out a few little projects on the Galant over the lest few months. I started by replacing all the turbo coolant lines with stainless braided lines. I added DEI fire sleeves to hopefully extend the life of the lines since they see so much heat due to the proximity to the turbine housing.
d1yfdfilojl6bcqopvzx03q1usnrrxwh1ijyk389y3xddtvjgyzgetfnfunbrkcgpvk8iuj1i2jleqwvpc-w1112-h626-no-jpg.598146

My battery sh*t out. The car usually sits for long periods of time, and I never remember to put it on the tender. I think age and the lack of use took their toll finally, so I just picked up a new Optima red top. I remember back in the day when you could pick one of these things up on sale for $119 bucks, these shits are expensive now!
bc5sozlupjuub8lyzufksyo5g6mak8qlc3oxew7imhtoomavlhqmamv7pxcqgpbct_83bb6fsxexzvl-beg-w750-h625-no-jpg.598147

nghndzqmden1ogzgarhwr6hqfnuqfqxbaqd7flpwxa_pnknvvkcqnpdjisgadxzh2noc0yakjyudxln42q-w1286-h625-no-jpg.598148

In a last-ditch effort to make my QM twin more tame and streetable, I decided to add the 2G clutch accumulator everyone always suggests. All said and done, it made a tiny improvement, but overall the clutch still sucks ass to drive on the street. I think I can chalk it up and say there's nothing I can do to make this thing anymore enjoyable to drive when I'm not balls out banging through the gears...She's just never gonna be a lady in the streets.
exwdqut3-kmvdexkzyt5hikktji973dikdtmww7uixdevdiol0vhl0ksxwduxt6t3azdsm7zuxm85soukr5-w921-h625-no-jpg.598149

Found what were probably some of the last Super Street hard copies left on the shelf in the San Francisco airport while I was flying on business. It was cool I found a few of the older issues featuring the Galant, but also sad knowing these copies would be some of the last ever to be seen on the newsstands.
ojc8vydvvep5syohuq_dfvvfsi3ayyr0bx1jwknc2vohmzitj6a8y5bugu8vyaz5kgd9htknbh4knwu9jp3-w304-h625-no-jpg.598150

Aaaaaand a few pics just cuz. Thanks for following along.
pdqtsiqb0xhzgjpkersxvlvi0_ubl7nuz1bu8ed7ab6-edf-phe4o411fzld2ei5ewve9ilfm9o7luirao-w1112-h626-no-jpg.598151
fow0bopiln4nxwyyvokvas5lr766v9ly-ipwr2rx9puiwphpd8h3gv5sushh-ynpjxk0vgmcvwckhnjhuz-w1112-h626-no-jpg.598152

bobdole

Looking good as always.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Hey Brett,

How about some photos of those turbo braided lines installed? I'd like to see how that worked out.

Sizes? What are the push lock type fittings for, one of the water lines?

Thanks.

slugsgomoo

if you got extra copies, I'd buy one from you. I was never able to find one in print sadly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

GSTwithPSI

Well, it's been a interesting couple months with the Galant.

I don't drive the car much, but a few weeks back I started noticing the car was running funny as boost started coming on. I didn't think much of it at first, but soon realized the problem was getting worse. I loathe wrenching on the car these days, so some irrational part of me just hoped the problem would fix itself...But of course, that didn't happen. Since I rarely ever have issues with the car (it's been years at this point) I just think I got a little too spoiled.

So, into the garage I went to start troubleshooting.

I initially thought it was an ignition problem. I swapped out my COP for a OEM coil to no avail. On to my next suspicion, fuel.

After much dicking around, I found increasing the fuel pressure at the regulator made the car run better. My initial thought was my A1000, which are notorious for wearing out prematurely on E85 exclusive cars, was failing. Since I've been wanting to take my fuel system from way overkill to something more reasonable, I figured now was the time to make some changes. I decided to ditch my A1000 and dual 340 in-tank setup for a single Bosch 044 and Bosch Motorsport BR540 in tank fuel pump. Now, what I didn't realize is that finding a NOT f***ING KNOCKOFF 044 pump these days would be nearly impossible. So much so in fact, that I had to order my parts from EFI Hardware in MoFuckiN AUSTRALIA.

WAT?
1645762236236.png
1645762252481.png

Anyways, after some waiting for parts to get shipped around the entire world, I got the new pumps and did a quick clean install, ditching the Aeromotive stuff for all new German engineered Bosch greatness.
1645762265290.png
1645762274643.png
1645762282973.png
1645762292061.png
1645762301261.png

Annnnddd...Naturally, all my new parts didn't fix anything and I was left back at square 1 troubleshooting again LOL

By this point, I had also added a fuel pressure sensor that I could log with ECMlink. I used that to grab some logs, which didn't really lead me to any definitive conclusions. Fuel pressure (and the regulator) seemed to be working fine.

I went back to the fuel pressure regulator, and once again found increasing pressure made the car run better. At this point, I started to think my injectors were the culprit. In retrospect, this should have very obviously been my first check, but I digress. Can;t be great all the time I suppose.

I pulled the lines, fuel rail, injectors, and fuel filter, and confirmed some of my suspicions:
1645762365228.png
1645762371895.png
1645762379022.png

The filter was full of this mood dust sh*t. When wet, it was solid. As soon as it dried, it crumbled into nothing. At this point, I was convinced my injectors had ingested a metric shitload of mood dust, and needed a good cleaning. So, I sent them off the FIC, who confirmed that suspicion:
1645762393339.png

Once FIC sent me the flow sheet confirming the injectors were likely at fault, I started putting the pieces together:

1) The car sat while I was on deployment with E85 in the tank for nearly 8 months (f***up #1)

2) When I got back from deployment, I upgraded the fuel feed line with a 6an tank to rail, and swapped from a 10 micron paper element to a 40 micron stainless (f***up #2 and #3...you're not supposed to use paper elements with E85 and 40 microns doesn't filter out all the particulates).

3) The combination of stagnant fuel coupled with the 40 micron filter element let debris in the system pass into the injectors, clogging them up.

Somehow I couldn't put all thins together until this point in time.

So, got the injectors back from FIC and installed them in the car, crossing my fingers and hoping my issue would be fixed.
1645762408447.png

Additionally, I wised up and decided to run a dual filter setup to try and minimize and future occurrences of this happening. Probably overkill, but whatever. The 818 filters are cheap insurance. I decided to fabricate a Fuel Lab 818 dual fuel filter setup with a 40μ stainless element feeding into a 6μ fiberglass element (all E85 compatible this time...). The dual pass filters just before the rail should take care of any crap heading toward the injectors.
1645762421290.png
1645762429149.png
1645762438772.png

Put everything together, and used ECMlink to activate the pumps and check for leaks. With everything dry, I cranked the car up and went for a drive. SMOOTH AS BUTTER. In fact, this thing hasn't ran this good since I had it out at Streets of Willow.

With the car finally fixed, I kinda fell in love with it again. I wonder if I'm ever going to be able to let it go, or if this thing is legitimately a forever car...

Lastly, I don't get everything right. I share with you all in hopes you don't f*** up the same stuff I do. Live and learn. But please, do learn 🤣

Thanks for following along (y)
1645762455200.png
1645762461949.png

david

Some of you guys might remember a while back when Anthony (oldman tau) originally put 1837/2000 up for sale, but then decided not to sell it. I told him if the day ever came and he changed his mind, to let me know. Well, last July, Anthony gave me a call. Shortly after, 1837/2000 was mine. After a long wait, I finally got it shipped cross country here to the East Coast. It's nice to have a VR4 in the garage again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

WP_000156.jpg
WP_000157.jpg

ApexHunter

Well, it's been a interesting couple months with the Galant.

I started muling heroin in my fuel system:

View attachment 841

The filter was full of this mood dust sh*t. When wet, it was solid. As soon as it dried, it crumbled into nothing. At this point, I was convinced my injectors had ingested a metric shitload of mood dust, and needed a good cleaning. So, I sent them off the FIC, who confirmed that suspicion:

Somehow I couldn't put all thins together until this point in time.

Always fun to be had with E85. First it was the Black Goo and now it's the Moon Dust. I wonder if the Dust is the byproduct of the breakdown of a component? Like is that the paper filter element disintegrating and then rising from the ashes as fast setting concrete?

That last line I quoted, I couldn't tell if that was an intentional call back from yesteryear. There was an ad for one of these shitboxes that got some notoriety here. It was forever ago but went something like:
"The car have many thins for race You interest call me"
Anyway I saw that in your post and lol'd.
That quote later went on to become someone's title.

Man I miss this place. I'm secretly on the lookout for another one, although I have no idea what i'd do with it. Jackstands obviously, but beyond that...

GSTwithPSI

Like is that the paper filter element disintegrating and then rising from the ashes as fast setting concrete?
I don't think so, but then again, I can't say for sure. Most of the fuel system components are pushing 30 years old at this point, so hard to pinpoint where the sh*t in the system came from. I do know, now, what it takes to keep it from getting into the injectors though.

Man I miss this place. I'm secretly on the lookout for another one, although I have no idea what i'd do with it. Jackstands obviously, but beyond that...
Do it soon, and hopefully you can find something local under the radar. Prices are getting stupid (like with most other things), even for beat examples. Some of the higher asking prices for clean cars is certainly warranted. But, you see that bleeding over into other people asking millions for their beat to death sh*t boxes that just "need a tune".

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts