The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Owner of #1736 91 GVR4

Mr_Fielgood

So I was browsing through craigslist and found this. Priced at $6200. Super clean interior. Exterior not too bad. Brought the price down to $5300 which included the JDM bumper that is currently installed and the USDM bumper. My plans are to restore this import to look and drive like its fresh off the boat with light mods. Photos are from the original craigslist ad.

Last edited by a moderator:

fuel

Looks nice and clean! How many miles?

I would probably switch to JDM corners (maybe with dual filament setup) to make up for losing the turn signals from the USDM bumper (you don't want to use those gorgeous JDM projector fogs as turn signals, kind of defeats their purpose to be honest).

Mr_Fielgood

Thanks! It's got about 154,000 miles on it. Couple weeks after I bought it then comes a bad coolant leak. Smh

coyotes

It happens, you just need to give it some love. I'd doublecheck to make sure you know where the coolant is coming from before you attempt to fix anything. If the exhaust manifold is off you can check the coolant lines going to your oil cooler. They should be on the driver's side below the turbo. Also check the o ring to the water pipe that goes beneath the turbo, the o ring is underneath the power steering pump going into the water pump. That is a common place to leak.

G

Staff member
Looks clean!

coyotes

VR4s always seem to photo well. Mine looks "clean", till you see it in person. Then you realize it's actually a turd.

EHmotorsports

welcome to the Forum!
I look forward to watching your progress.

GSTwithPSI

As long as the weep hole on the water pump isn't what's leaking, your leak should be fairly simple to fix. If the WP is leaking, that's a good opportunity to do a timing belt job. Do you know when the timing belt was last changed?

Overall, looks like a real clean car. Welcome to the Org.

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

Who did the work? Anyone who knows the 4G63 knows the water pump gets replaced with the timing belt if it has any substantial mileage on it. If the pump is leaking and didn't get replaced with the belt, that was a mistake on someone's part (either the shop or the customer...or both).

Aside from a new water pump, the other thing I don't see on the ticket is a new hydraulic timing belt tensioner. I suppose that could have been included with the pulleys, but it doesn't explicitly say so. Judging by that ticket, they definitely didn't throw one in for free, so something to think about...

I just feel sorry for whoever paid for all that sh*t. This really goes to show how much you actually save doing repairs yourself, and also how much shops mark up parts. $4.25 for an NGK sparkplug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

First thing I would probably do is pull the plugs and make sure someone didn't put any iridium sh*t in there. Most of the time you can get a set of BPR6ES copper cores for just over a buck a piece, which is what should always be in a fairly stock 4G63 IMO.

Last edited:

Mr_Fielgood

So I just found out that the previous owner had an aftermarket water pumpark put on. Maybe that could be the reason? Guess I won't find out till I dig back in there.

Mr_Fielgood

Found out 2 weeks after I bought 1736 the head was cracked due to previous owners trip to his local mechanic where they don't believe in "torque to spec"
Bought a complete rebuilt oem spec head from a 1g dsm with all new gaskets and seals along with other goodies. Water pump, timing belt etc etc.

Only have this instagram photo of the process.

Before you know it..oh wait another leak. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Fuel leak this time. Guess its common for this fuel filler hose to crack at that spot where the hose bends into the fuel tank.

Ghetto rigged the hose so it would stop leaking. I jacked the car on the driver side so all the fuel would drop down from the fuel filler hose and into the tank. Used toyota FIPG sealer. Worked real good but decided not to half ass my work. Replaced it with a new oem part. Thank you jnztuning! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

OpticalPhenom

I need to buy one from jnz also. Congrats on the car and welcome.

Mr_Fielgood

Gutted the Shitsubishi while replacing shifter cables. Going to clean and detail the carpet, front and rear seats, interior panels and trim pieces.

Mr_Fielgood

Quote:
Hell yeah looks good. Well have to go for a cruise one day. Your not all to far from me

I'm down with that. As soon as I get 1736 up to my expectations we should definitely go for a cruise.

Mr_Fielgood

PARTS PARTS PARTS!!!

Got some goodies. Turbosmart 30 psi boost gauge with mounting cup & window deflectors. Cant wait to install these.

Bought a brand new throttle body from a local DSMer. Also got new gaskets from extremepsi.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts