The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New owner needs help on long island

16g16v

Hey guys new here..1st post new.. I picked up 1829 from nj. Car ran fine ,but I decided to do some maint on it due to it having liquid gasket everywhere so I startec with an intake mani gasket and tb gasket. Put it back together and now the wideband is reading 11.2 shortly aftet a start up and it stutters up to about 3k rpm and the bov flutters out. I am a mechanic but this has got me scratching my head ..i did a blt test and everything seems fine, I have a obd 1 scan tool to scan tonight when I get home due to the cel coming on. Any help or anyone on long island willing to help me would be great. Thanks guys.my name is chris btw.

JSchleim18

Welcome Chris,

You can give Bill a call. He has a shop in Farmingdale but lives in Smithtown. He may be able to come out to you depending on his schedule. He has been into DSM/GVR-4's for over a decade.

PM me for his number.

-Jeremy

16g16v

He is willing to help but me not showing him the car cant do much. It does start and idle fine but it just runs lean. It feels like it would be a bad maf sensor but previous to me changing the gaskets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gifit seemed to be fine. Idk

transparentdsm

hey, pull the ecu and look for leaking caps.. or a blown resister... if there was a problem with liquid gaskets there and you fixed it with the right ones it may be reading different intakes... also reset your ecu first. disconnect the battery for like 30 minutes and then try it...

LIV4PSI

If the only thing you changed was the gaskets, logic dictates that one is leaking or you forgot to plug something back in.

ktmrider

The TB gasket is easy to install wrong, I inverted it my first time and had a huge leak.

transparentdsm

guys he said he did a boost leak test and it came back good. it is located on the passenger side on the door side by the fire wall. remove the kick panel and you will see a wiring harness remove the wiring harness and then there are 2 12mm bolts take them out, grab the bottom of the ecu pull it toward the center of the car and it should fall right out.

ktmrider

^^ BL test past the TB, ie into the intake manifold? How do you do that with the timing belt on?!?

Check that throttle body gasket, symptoms definitely point at it.

16g16v

I applied the bl tester to the inlet on the 16g. Should I be placing on a charge pipe before the tb insted?. I should have been more clear wich im sorry for but I changed both gaskets on back to back days. Throttle body first. After that was done is when I first noticed the lean idel. Next day did the intake and still have the same lean idel. Gaskets on everything including deleted egr cap.also used red rtv. I have my scanner for obd1 ready to take home from work at six so I should find what is stored.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Unfortunately the primitive codes on these cars are not always a lot of help.

Some useful posts regarding looking specifically at what is different. I say air leak too if lean now and nothing else has changed. Small air leaks can cause lots of hunting for phantom ignition or fuel issues.

ktmrider

Quoting 16g16v:
I applied the bl tester to the inlet on the 16g. Should I be placing on a charge pipe before the tb insted?. I should have been more clear wich im sorry for but I changed both gaskets on back to back days. Throttle body first. After that was done is when I first noticed the lean idel. Next day did the intake and still have the same lean idel. Gaskets on everything including deleted egr cap.also used red rtv. I have my scanner for obd1 ready to take home from work at six so I should find what is stored.

Here's a shot of the TB to intake mani:

img.php

Notice how the "lower" portion ( to the RH side of the pic ) has the cutaway vs the opposite side. If you get the gasket in 180 out you will suck major air into the mani regardless of gasket and RTV use. It easy to flip by accident trust me.

On the boost leak test unless you opened the throttle plate you would not have heard much or any air pushing past the gasket. Hard part is with open intake valves, may not build much pressure in the mani.

To test where the leak is run the car at idle and spray carb cleaner around the gasket areas. If the idle changes you found your leak!

transparentdsm

^ that is exactly what i was going to say. spray some carb cleaner or starting fluid near there and see if anything changes in the idle...

16g16v

Thanks for all the help guys. I tried to pull whatever code or codes it had tonight but the scanner wasnt getting any power wich was weird. But thank you for the tb pic. I think I might have the gasket on upside down.. Tomorow when I take lunch I will snap a pic on how I have it set.

ade

Gnarly another gvr4 on the island, and it runs too! Welcome to the forum Chris, i'll put my money on a leak by the tb. oh and pics of the car while u have the camera out.

holeshotmoe

Did you happen to clean the TB when it was off? Reason I ask is because attached to the TB is a FIAV which has a wax or or soft plastic-like substance that melts at operating temperature to open (or close?) air passage. Svc docs warn not to spray "cleaners" into ports in the TB, the ones with arrows IIRC. I'm thinking this wouldn't affect anything outside of idling though.

img.php

Last edited:

16g16v

I did clean the tb with a wiz wheel just to knock off all the old liquid gasket funk. I also cleaned the highlighted areas in red with a rag and break clean. I just ordered a new gasket for the tb and il be able to install again tomorow due to the heavy reason we have been having here. Just to play it safe and to double check my work can I get an image of how the gasket is supposed to sit on the tb? . And I will post pictures tonight after six. Thank you guys.

holeshotmoe

"Heavy reasoning" I'm going to start using that :)
Here's a 91 style 1g TB. Notice the trapezoidal notch on the left side, two small holes at top and opening at the bottom. Just match these up with the gasket. The surfaces shown should contact each other.

img.php
img.php

Images courtesy www, JNZTuning and MS Paint

Last edited:

16g16v

Thanks for showing me that image. This is the way i had the old gasket on.I just ordered the new one wich i will have tomorow.But did i have the gasket on correct. btw the rtv will be cleaned off .

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts