The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New owner, hello new friends

Hello everyone, I am new to the dsm/gvr4 and even new to the mitsu brand.

I have picked up #1519/2000 and have been working on it now for about a month replacing odds and ends, I cannot seem to figure out a metal on metal sound from the front but its still on going. not sure what else to put here but I am sure that I will be looking to you guys for some assistance and am going ahead and thanking you all for the guides that I have already used. And, man this car came with a trunk full of oem spare parts that I am still trying to go through.

If anyone has a C5 center cap.... ooooof I would love you

Take care!

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Welcome. Car looks nice. OE parts are getting harder to get, so you may have a good resource there.

What kind of sound? Rotational? Vibrational?

Could be lots of things, but check the bolts to the block that mount the fixed shaft for the LH front axle shaft. They use a special shoulder bolt and sometimes are replaced with something else and can loosen.

Hello /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

it seems to be rotational and variable by speed. it may just be pads sitting against the rotor, but i bought another caliper and its unlikely that another one is doing the same thing. I have a bearing and seals that I am going to try and have pressed, but plan to order both axels for the front to do it all at the same time. Other than that I need to figure out this silly boost controller as its peaking out over 25psi, then look to tune it, but im very unfamiliar on what to look imto for that.

Thank you!

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Post what type it is. Someone may have experience.

Basically you need to determine how it adjusts and then dial it in with testing.

TheDude

I have a metal on metal sound too..

my downpipe/exhaust rattling against the transfer case.

maybe you have the same problem never know

Heyo, Well i have changed the DS caliper up front, and the sound was no different it sooooounds like pad drag, like just ever so soft. The PO left a bearing and 2 seals so i will be swapping that. I also will be going ahead and ordering 2 new axels and just send it with that too. can anyone think of anything else that i should do while I am down there?

lowcashleblanc

Things it could possibly be.

Engine and trans zone: oil pump, water pump, timing components, alternator, starter. AC pump if you still have it. Potentially something in the trans. Clutch assembly could be a source. Thrust and throw out bearing.

Wheel hub assembly zone: wheel bearing, pads on rotors, worn pads, Seizing calipers, just because you changed it with a good used or new part does not mean it’s not defective. You have aftermarket wheels, you could have tire clearance issues.

"Engine and trans zone: oil pump, water pump, timing components, alternator, starter. AC pump if you still have it."
none of this is speed sensative. its rpm sensative yes. But if i go 45 miles an hour, hear it, then shift into neutral. the sound still remains as if i were in gear.

I dont beleave it would be a clearance issue, as it came out of no where after about 3 weeks of driving.

if its the calipers that would be mega unlucky to have the same failure but not impossible.

pads on rotor, or bearing is whats I think it is, just need to get it pressed in

lowcashleblanc

If it is happening at 45 mph and not anywhere lower it’s probably not wheel bearings. You’d most likely hear it from the get go if it was. Same if was your pads on rotors.

If it’s happening when you drop out of gear and are coasting in neutral my bet it on pilot or throw out bearing.

TheDude

my abs is deleted as well and the driver's front pad drags... on the inside

even after taking off the caliper , compressing the pistons again same result

raptorWagon

either replace the caliper or rebuild it, most likely has a rip in the boot and moisture got inside behind the piston, causing things to rust.

Last edited:
after doing some digging on a throw out bearing, it seems that it is not the case as it is simply able to be heard more, no engine noise or exhaust.

does anyone have a lead on a rebuild kit?

Imback

Just buy a new caliper. I had a similar issue with my rear ended up being the caliper that wasn't making noise was causing my passenger caliper to do the work.The front's you can still find. The rears are a pain in the ass since i had to have them rebuilt.

I havent tried a autozone or advanced yet, but the dealer could not find new, and said even if they could would be 600, each.

I have taken off the caliper and one piston seems to drag, as in doesnt extend out as far as the other. not sure if that is normal

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Caliper rebuild kits should be readily available. I did a pair of stock VR4 and a set of '05 Outlander version calipers last winter. I bought them through either Rock Auto or eBay, can't remember for sure. I usually use the Centric parts info on Rock auto for specs, as they have a good website with dimensional data for most parts.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts