The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New owner 631/1000

Coltsfan

I just drove around all summer and fall wondering why my engine felt out of balance. I had already checked the balance shafts, and it seemed like it was never totally consistent. It always seemed to vibrate more with higher RPM, but it usually seemed worse during WOT. It was so bad at times that I would never take it above 4500-5000 RPM. I had pulled the #1 plug, and confirmed that the timing mark on the pulley was indeed still lined up in the correct spot.

Well this weekend the harmonic balancer let loose completely, and started eating my lower timing cover. I immediately replaced it with a spare I had laying around, and holy smokes! I can't believe how fricken smooth this engine is now. Totally kicking myself for not trying that sooner.

G

Staff member
You buy cheap you buy twice.

Coltsfan

It may have been the original; it came with the car. The one I put on was an OEM 4g61 balancer that had the number "61" cast into the center hub. I will say, my Colt that makes probably 400hp has had a Dorman balancer on it for at least two or three years, and so far no issues.

G

Staff member
By cheap I meant re-using the original when you could have replaced it while everything was apart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Coltsfan

I would like to put new everything, and install link, but I have a limited number of funds. Keeping my fingers crossed for the 27 year old 4g61 balancer I have on there now.

G

Staff member
Quoting G:
You buy cheap you buy twice.

You buy cheap you buy thrice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Coltsfan

But I didn't buy it. It's left over parts. That's part of the reason I bought this as a DD, because I have tons of parts.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts