The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Owner 607/1000

acn

Hey Guys,

Just introducing myself and my car . This last summer I bought 607 from a guy in northern Utah. The vehicle wasn't running so I had him tow it down to Salt Lake City for me. It appears to have some very bent valves in cylinder #1. I'm going to be finished with school this week and am looking forward to spending some time tearing the cylinder head off. I owned a 95 eclipse gsx between the years '04 and '08 and I loved it, apart from the summer when the thrust bearing decided it had enough (yes, crankwalk). Even then, rebuilding an engine can be quite fun.

My wife and I are expecting our first child this month and the GVR4 appealed because I though my wife would consider it an appropriate daddy car because it has four doors. Now I just need to get it running. I'm curious if anybody has pictures or diagrams of the vacuum hose routing? The car was registered in rural Utah and most of the emissions controls/EVAP stuff was disconnected since emissions testing/inspection was not required. However, in SLC county, its a different story. Its missing a few small parts here and there that I am looking to buy, but I suppose I will make another post for that.

Any suggestions on the cylinder head work would be welcome -- like any performance upgrades that would be easy/cheap to do while the head is off. Also, any recommendations on type of head gasket? The car has had its engine replaced in the past and supposedly has a JDM engine now. I don't know much about this, but I know it has an oil cooler that doesn't really have a nice place to be mounted.

BpuVR4

welcome to the board. did the timing belt skip or break? I think you may need to pull that motor apart before making any preliminary predictions. easy stuff while the head is off, may want to look into getting 3g lifters to help avoid the lifter tick, and arp studs to start with.

acn

I'm not exactly sure what happened. When I pulled the covers off the timing belt, the belt was off a few teeth, but I didn't think enough to bend the valves. I took a look down cylinder #1 spark plug hole and could actually see the valve it was bent so bad! So I'm not sure it it was a result of the timing belt being off or if the valve was "sucked". I'm suspecting the latter. Valve cover is coming off next, so we will see. I'm hoping the bottom end is still in ok shape.

ktmrider

Quoting acn:
I'm curious if anybody has pictures or diagrams of the vacuum hose routing? The car was registered in rural Utah and most of the emissions controls/EVAP stuff was disconnected since emissions testing/inspection was not required. However, in SLC county, its a different story. Its missing a few small parts here and there that I am looking to buy, but I suppose I will make another post for that.

Welcome and congrats on the upcoming family addition.

Here are some pics of the vac/emission hose routing:

img.php

img.php

Last edited:

minneSNOWta

Welcome. While the head is off, you could get an OEM organic head gasket if you don't plan on getting the head decked. If you want to make a lot of power in the future with peace of mind, then I think most would say go for the OEM MLS 4-layer head gasket with a proper deck on both the block and head. Does the engine have ARP headstuds? That could be one thing to think about as well.

mitsuturbo

You'll probably need new valves, guides and seals. May as well toss some upgraded springs, retainers and cams in there while you're at it.

If you want to know where to get machine work done, i can tell you where to go, and more importantly... where NOT to go!

jnava

Staff member
Welcome to the site. It is an appropriate "grocery" getting car. Hopefully you find us informative and helpful and good luck with the project.

acn

Found out why the car won't run today. I'll be needing a new cylinder head and maybe a new block. I have no idea how this happened.

Welcome,congrats on both the new baby and vr. I bring my kids to school in my car all the time they love to boost.

Wow,that looks like the guy who you got it from dropped something in there and didn't realize it and ran it check the turbo for metal or messed up blades.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts