The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New owner- ?/1k Summit white from Colorado aka 677/1k

highrpm666

So while the org was down, again.. my balance shaft belt broke and caused my timing to jump 4 teeth at the crank. Had to drive the car 35 miles like this. Had about 40whp at most and idle surged horribly. Totally awesome right!? Well I purchased a new balance shaft belt and installed it, re installed the timing belt (which was undamaged somehow) and fired it up. To my surprise it runs excellent again. No bent valves! I'm the luckiest bastard alive! I've got to re size some pics for upload of the destruction and process. 4 Days of downtime total and about 3 hours work. Total cost of repair=$30. New power steering belt and new gates balance shaft belt.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Did you buy a lottery ticket?

highrpm666

Haha. I damn well should! I still can't believe it didn't bend any valves. When it happened I was just taking off from a stop light and noticed a lack of power and a slight vibration. Shifted in to second and knew something was wrong immediately. I pulled over thinking maybe I popped off a charge pipe or something. Checked it over and everything looked good. About 5 minutes before it happened I was wringing it out hard on a twisty canyon road. At first it felt like a miss but, I quickly realized it was probably jumped timing. I nursed it home and then to my shop the next morning. I'm a bit worried about the timing belt. It looked fine but I think I'm going to replace it anyways. Being my daily driver, it will be a week or two before I can. Atleast I now have done quite a few 4g63 timing belt jobs and can have it done very quickly. I still hate the double hydralic/eccentric tensioner though. In my opinion it is one of the stupidest tensioner setups ever (over)engineered.

highrpm666

The pictures hide a lot. It's got hail damage on the roof and trunk. The front fenders are faded a nasty yellow color. The hood has some dents.. It's nowhere near as beautiful in person, trust me. Although the interior is very immaculate, the exterior needs serious attention.

highrpm666

Hit a deer. Messed it up. Grill, hood and passenger side headlight damaged. Not too bad though. 30mph impact. Posting pics once resized. Most of you probably saw them on the Facebook group already. Also have a bunch of car show pics to resize and post which were taken a week prior to the deer slaying incident.. otherwise 677 is running great. Daily driven 44 miles a day

New fan setup installed recently. Keeping the temps in check once again.. And pulling away from modded subies all the time(without spiking 220 during a long pull)

About to park it for more serious modifications and buying a new daily driver. Still holding around 350whp on a stock exedy prokit clutch amazingly.

Gonna take it to the track here soon and post up some timeslips. Hoping for a high to mid 13 second pass on the current setup if the clutch continues to hold..

Yao

man, that sucks, sorry to hear about that.

highrpm666

Haven't updated in quite some time. I'm not posting pics anymore because quite frankly having to resize them is pretty tedious.

Car is running great. Not much has changed. Went SD and E85. Making somewhere around 425 at 26psi now. Haven't put it on the rollers but I've done quite a few pulls next to a 458whp/390tq evo 9 and its door to door almost every time.

Put on a new used hood to correct the last of the deer damage. So it almost looks like it never happened. The front bumper slats are kind of crooked still. Oh well.

Stock 3 bolt is going out quickly. Acquired a good 4 bolt with all the necessary components. Haven't installed it yet but it will be going in very soon since the 3 bolt is vibrating and making noise. Also I'm still contemplating how I'm going to go about deleting the AWS system.

Overall I still love the 'ol bitch and she gets driven quite a bit. I did get a new daily driver but its tougher (slightly) on gas than the vr4. So I still mostly drive it to work etc.

Put a new used gauge cluster in to regain color change functionality. I actually purchased the cluster with about 10k more miles than mine and drove it to the exact mileage to swap it. So the dash still shows the true chassis mileage.

Coolest thing is I've now run about a dozen consistant 12.9's at 6000ft and a DA of around 10k. ON A STOCK EXEDY PROKIT REPLACEMENT CLUTCH. Seriously. I drive the sh*t out of this car on a stock clutch. It has slipped a few times when hot but, it holds over 400whp. Maybe my step height is a magical number. I dont know why or how its holding this but, it is.

Car has seen a bunch of track days. Been having tons of fun.

But she is being parked now for the 4 bolt swap.

HAPPY GALANTING EVERYONE!

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Good to hear you are enjoying the car. No better thing.

highrpm666

Clicked off a 12.73@108 at the last track day. This was in 96 degree weather with a DA of almost 10,000. 1.73 60ft. Hoping for a cooler track day soon. I would like to see a 12.5 on this setup.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts