The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New or Reman AC compressor

Noobster

Hi I'm new here and I expected to post some photos of my new galant as my first post but I already have some questions for the forum. I bought the car without AC and I am now looking at buying a new AC compressor and condenser. I found a new Mitsubishi compressor from Mitsubishi Direct Parts for $580. How much would I regret it if I bought a Four Seasons compressor from Rockauto for $250?

Here is the previous owners add with some photos of my car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

click

ShaggyTE

Good looking car! I work at a fleet maintenance garage and we have generally had good luck with aftermarket A/C parts. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
You can install everything yourself and rent a vacuum pump to keep moisture at bay. Moisture will kill internal AC parts.

Be sure to install a new accumulator/drier assembly at the same time.

If you don't have tool rental programs, be sure to take it all to a reputable shop that can draw a proper vacuum for at least 30 mins, I recommend more to be safe.

Be sure the correct AC charge is being installed as you might likely be converting over to R134a. If this is the case, you have to change all the O-rings and two fittings for the hoses.

The system should be flushed of all residual oils. Then the proper amount of new R134a matching oil in the PROPER viscosity, needs to be added to the compressor.

Compressors come with instructions but they can be vague. Sometimes you add a certain amount of fluid because they are dry, sometimes you add fluid based upon what is poured out ... the list goes on.

If in doubt consult us here, and or call the parts manufacturer for the exact amount that should be in the system and or compressor.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
To add oil, you draw the system into vacuum and then connect a syringe type device that allows the fluid to be drawn in, based upon a measured fill. Do NOT add oil and or oil/dye combo (I recommend) if the system is under pressure! It will blow back in your face or worse.

Noobster

Thanks for the replies. I went aftermarket and took it to a shop to have the work done. I'm in Texas at tech school right now and don't have the most ideal place to work on the Galant. Does anybody have any leads on a condenser? The Mitsubishi parts supplier didn't have any in stock. I did find this one: click

Bought it for $7,400. Almost bought one in San Francisco but when I got there from Reno he didn't have the title /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Thats okay though because I think I'll come out ahead of the curve buying a car that's been taken care of.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts