The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New member/owner with some pics and technical questions

samophlange

Greetings members of galantvr4.org! I've been reading about DSMs and GVR4s on and off for several years, and last weekend I picked up a white 1991 # 426/2000. While this is my first GVR/DSM, I'm not a complete stranger to these cars....

Here's a picture of me as the navigator in my buddy's N/A FWD Galant a few years ago:

Anyway, I picked up this car last Sunday:

My plan for the car is to clean it up for DD duty, and keep it pretty close to stock. It's in decent shape, but needs a lot of TLC for various interior and exterior issues.

However, first I need to get it mechanically sorted. I'm going to refresh the suspension system, and then the brakes. First, however, I need to get it running reliably, and I'm hoping that you guys can help me with that.

It has some kind of ignition system issue. On 3 occasions, the engine has cut off while driving. A few times, it would restart after leaving it off for a few minutes. Once, it just wouldn't start and I ended up getting it towed. The mechanic was able to see that it has fuel pressure but no spark. However, when I leave it with him for any period of time, it runs fine, so he hasn't made any progress on it (and he's not really familiar with these cars).

I've gone through the links on this site to download technical manuals, but they they're missing chapter 16, where the ignition system info is located.

Does anybody have a complete technical manual, or chapter 16, or know where I could get one?

Alternatively, does anybody know somebody in the Costa Mesa / OC area that knows these cars and can help me get it running 100%?

Thanks!

Olson

Apex hunter lives right there.

Theres a coil pack thing I cant think of what it is called. If you have the cruise control still it is on that bracket. Could be going bad

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Power transistor. Sometimes cut out when they get hot.

ApexHunter

Whats up Samo! I used to live in CM. Now i'm back down in San Clemente, about 1/2 hr south. I'd love to check out the car sometime.

samophlange

Thanks for the tips everyone! If I can get the stalling issue sorted out, I'll bring the car with me to Gorman Ridge Rally this weekend and get some better pictures.

AllanL

Quoting Olson:

Theres a coil pack thing I cant think of what it is called. If you have the cruise control still it is on that bracket. Could be going bad

The injector resistor you mean?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts