The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Member. Owner of 119/2000.

Quoting Lonewolf64:
Quoting JustTouge:
Thanks I pm'd him.

Is a AFPR needed if I plan on running 17psi?

I think I made it clear you'll need an AFPR regardless if you want your car to run right. Your supra fuel pump is going to outrun your stock FPR regardless of whether you run 2psi or 200psi.

Not true, you can tune for it. I have dynoed almost 400 hp with a Bosch 044 in tank pump, 850s and a STOCK fpr. It's not ideal but it hasn't bothered me any. Jeff setup the chip for the bumped base fuel pressure and it's fine. Trims are fine. This comes up alot and everytime I see it, I cringe. It's not so much of a must have as people think. I have a fuel pressure gauge and with the proper tuning/timing on top on the chip I was able to do all this with no knock.

Last edited by a moderator:

So it would be OK if I held off on the AFPR for a month or so? Ah screw it I will just wait and do everything 100% right the first time, I will take my time and get everything at once.

So when I get an AFPR, do I just set it to the factory setting of 37?

Lonewolf64

Yes, set it for stock fuel pressure, (or whatever you told keydiver). As for what crankwalk said it is true that some people have no issues with a stock FPR and a large pump, but I would say the majority have some issues that are to put it lightly, difficult to tune out. IMO you would probably be ok driving it without the AFPR although there are the cases of the stock FPR coming completely apart from the extra flow of a large pump.

I went home to drive the car for a bit this weekend. I got it all clean and took it for a photoshoot. Here are some pics enjoy!

VR1.jpg

VR47.jpg

VR433.jpg

VR451.jpg

VR461.jpg

Adorsey

Great photo with the train coming head on, looks awesome!

Muskrat

Hey, welcome to the board!

You definately have the right attitude, and it sounds like your car is in good hands.

One thing that concerns me (and I'm surprised no one picked up on) is that you say you're only running 7 psi boost. I don't know if the wastegate for a B16G is different, but the stock wastegate wont open until about 11-12 psi (which means thats the lowest you can really go). So either the car has:

1) A 'weaker' wastegate
2) A very large boost leak. (search how to check this)
3) A large intake restriction. Clogged intercooler perhaps? The stock intake system throws a lot of oil into the intake tract.

Just something to think about.

Last edited:

The stock car has the stock bcs which works as a boost controller and that is 11-12 psi but if that is removed and a source is run from the wastegate to pressure source then 7-8 psi is right.

Jesh

i used the 14b wastegate when i made the B16G swap, due to the fact that i broke the new one during installation. you have to stack up alot of washers to make everything line up but i've got 5000miles with no problems.

Jesh

dude those are some nice pics! who took em?

I take all my own pictures. I usually use a Canon 10D DSLR but it broke recently, so I took those with a very old point and shoot.

As, for my car running 8psi, it is due to the removal of that factory boost controller. The car had an aftermarket controller installed, but it was removed.

Car update.

Well I drove the car around for about 200 miles since I purchased it. Then I started to become bored having the car only running 7psi, I went against members words and raised the boost up to 13psi, and now I believe I have broken a lifter, and my head gasket is shot. The car is put away for winter, and I will not be fixing it until spring.

So now I come to you galantvr4.org asking some new questions. Here is a list of things I need/ want to buy over the winter, and install in the spring.

Needed
New set of Lifters Lifters
New head gasket

Want
750cc injectors
Keydiver chip

My questions are…
1. Are the lifters I posted an alright solution?
2. What head gasket to choose? Suggestions?
3. Right now the car has an upgraded fuel pump (supra) and I have been told that this is overrunning the stock FPR. I am on a limited budget (yes I know that’s not a good thing to have with these cars, “gotta pay to play”), in your opinion should I purchase a adjustable FPR with my injectors and chip, or should I skimp on it and upgrade to a 2G MAS instead.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The original idea of a 2G mas setup, 750cc’s, AFPR, and the Keydiver isn’t looking like it’s going to happen I need to remove some items off of the list. I need some suggestions, thanks.

chrisb33

1. for the lifters if it's the same as these then you're good to go click me

2. gasket - cometic metal head gasket - click me

3. well there's some debate on those pumps and using stock fpr. but if it were me, id go with with a walbro 255hp and any adjustable fpr. even those e-bay afpr should work "theoretically".

i think you can get a 2g mas for pretty cheap. just check out the fs section.

the keydriver chip is a very very good product. but if you can tune your own, i would suggest go with the dsmlink, even the v2 will do you good.

do your fuel and tuning mods first, once you introduce more air into your system with the 2g mas you need the right fueling and tuning to make it run properly and efficiently.

chris b

turbowop

Broken lifter aren't a problem caused by upping the boost. Are they just ticking? If so that's normal for the old ones and the car probably just needs new ones.

So what is the car doing that leads you to believe it blew the headgasket? 13psi is pretty low boost. It's not even really high enough above stock levels to do anything unless the tune is waaaaaay off.

I think the lifter crapping out was a random act of violence(the car is a bit old). I don’t think it had to deal with upping the boost. There is a significant ticking coming from the head of the motor.

What makes me think the head gasket blew is that there is air being constantly blown into the coolant overflow tank. The car lost power when it happened. There is a bit of oil around the head, and I found a few drops of a water oil mixture underneath where the car was parked. However the car doesn’t overheat, which I always thought was sign of a blown head gasket. I have had a few people look at the car and each one has agreed with my lifter theory, the head gasket is iffy. Might as well replace it if the head is coming off anyway.

Whoodoo

Overheating can be a symptom of a blown head gasket, but not always. It all depends on where the failure in the gasket occurs. My buddy's subaru blew a head gasket and his only symptom was a large coolant leak because the failure occurred between one of the coolant passages and the outside of the head. In his case, he saw overheating due to coolant loss. On the other hand, I had a head gasket fail between two cylinders in the camaro, and although it wouldn't run well due to lack of compression in 2 of 6 cylinders, it didn't overheat because the cooling system was still working correctly.

If you are taking the head off, I'd suggest having it machined before you put it back on. Aluminum likes to deform when failures occur. Who knows, taking ~.003 off the top might increase compression enough to gain you a horse or two /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BTW, the car does look very good. Although, with a completely stock Nile Black car myself, I'm slightly biased.

Quoting chrisb33:
1. for the lifters if it's the same as these then you're good to go click me

2. gasket - cometic metal head gasket - click me

3. well there's some debate on those pumps and using stock fpr. but if it were me, id go with with a walbro 255hp and any adjustable fpr. even those e-bay afpr should work "theoretically".

i think you can get a 2g mas for pretty cheap. just check out the fs section.

the keydriver chip is a very very good product. but if you can tune your own, i would suggest go with the dsmlink, even the v2 will do you good.

do your fuel and tuning mods first, once you introduce more air into your system with the 2g mas you need the right fueling and tuning to make it run properly and efficiently.

chris b

Awesome Info. Thanks for all the Help. I will stick to the fuel mods first.

Also thanks for the headgasket tips, and the car compliment.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts