The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Member. Owner of 119/2000.

Hi Everyone My name is Jake and I recently purchased a 1991 Galant VR4 #119/2000. I have joined this site trying to learn as much as I can about these cars. So on to the car...

1991 Galant VR4 #119/2000
96,000 miles
web cams
Forged pistons
Balance shafts removed
big 16g
ported manifold
supra fuel pump
hks intake
mofugas cat back,high flow cat and race down pipe with dump tube on wastegate
oil catch can
momo wheel and shift knob
EGT, Boost, and Air/fuel Ratio Gauges

I have a set of brand new KYB AGX's that I plan on installing this winter.
Here Are some pictures. Its in storage for the winter already.
DSC020761.jpg

DSC020721.jpg

The only plans I have fr the car so far include...
Installing the shocks along with a set of ground control coilover sleeves.
Buy a MBC and turn the boost up to around 14psi(its only at 7 right now)
Bigger injectors and some type of engine managment DSMlink??
Get it tuned, Enjoy.

Any other sugestions, I am fairly new to the DSM World.

THEKID

welcome to the board.

rule number one these cars are not dsm. they are their own breed its a common rookie mistake.

my advise learn to use the search option.

What should I be searching for? I have just been trolling the basic FAQ's and Newbie information.

Barnes

I would suggest if something pops into your head like.. "What engine management do I want to use?", then do a search.

Example. In the search function, search for +dsmlink +v3, or something along those lines. You should put a plus in front of each term you want to search for. Or if you want a different blow off valve; +hks +bov. Etc etc.

Do your best to search, but if you can't find it or have other question we'll be glad to help.

Welcome to the board and I hope you learn a lot! Many folks learn a TON from the people here. Just remember to be courteous and use decent grammar,and no text message style posts please! Sounds silly, but we try to run a really quality board here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lonewolf64

Quoting JustTouge:
What should I be searching for? I have just been trolling the basic FAQ's and Newbie information.

Another website you want to get to know intimately is VFAQ: click
It is a huge database on how to do lots of different projects with your car, from small (installing an MBC) to large (timing belt job, removing BS shafts, etc). Welcome to the forums! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quoting Lonewolf64:
Quoting JustTouge:

Another website you want to get to know intimately is VFAQ: click
It is a huge database on how to do lots of different projects with your car, from small (installing an MBC) to large (timing belt job, removing BS shafts, etc). Welcome to the forums! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Awesome link thanks!

All I really need to do to the car is minor modifications, all the major work has been done. With a simple MBC, the car should move pretty good.

I am storing the car for winter, I live in wisconsin and we use lots of salt on the roads. Right now the car is Rust free, and I would like to keep it that way. However I can imagine this car would be soo much fun in the snow.

So anymore advice on using your search feature? I have been attempting to use it, but am reciving a lot of threads/subjects un realated to those I am searching for.

Example: I search "MBC install" and this thread pops up as a answer.

Lonewolf64

Does the car have an aftermarket intercooler? The stock IC in these cars simply sucks and I would highly recommend you upgrade if it is stock since it will be a GIANT bottleneck in your power. Also does your car have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator installed? With that high flowing supra pump, if you are running a stock FPR you will see big overrun problems causing a very rich condition in idle and possible drivability and tuneability problems.

I don't see any sort of tuning mods specified in your mod list. Is your car stock compression ratio (unlikely), stock injectors, stock MAS? The car can't possibly be running well with an unchipped ECU and no tuning software at all with a different compression ratio than stock. If you are on the stock injectors and stock MAS, it'll do you good to upgrade. If you are indeed running a stock ECU with no chip and no tuning capabilities, I highly recommend doing two things.

1) Pull the ECU and check for acid damage. This is a large problem with our cars, and if you have original capacitors then you are literally driving a ticking timebomb until your ECU is destroyed.
2)If the caps have been replaced (take a photo and post, Keydiver and others can help you identify whether your caps have been replaced) then you are all set and should buy a Keydiver chip for your specified mods. This is by far the easiest way to get your car on the road in a good state of tune. Most people like to fine tune their vehicles on top of this so they purchase an SAFC on top of this to fine tune A/F ratios.

A slightly more expensive but very valuable alternative to the Keydiver chip is purchasing DSMlink. DSMlink will allow far more tunability on the fly than a Keydiver chip + SAFC combo can yield, but it all depends on your budget and goals.

By the way, don't fret if you find original capacitors or even an already-damaged ECU. There are plenty of people on this board that offer services to either replace the capacitors or rebuild the ECU if you cannot do it yourself. Sorry if this is an overload, but this should be somewhat useful information for you that I'm not sure you knew about.

atc250r

Staff member
Welcome. Please take a minute and PM your info and your car's info to Iceman69510 for our registry.

Thanks.

John

Great information Thank you!

Stock intercooler. Looking to upgrade soon. I do not believe the car has a adjustable fuel pressure regulator, I can look next time I run out to the storage unit. I just picked up the car 2 days ago, and put it in storage for the winter. The car does seem really rich at idle.

Stock injectors along with a Stock MAS. I have an SAFC it is not installed yet. I also have a set of 550cc injectors.

I will look into the ECU as soon as I can get back to where the car is stored.

Any more info or links on these Keydivers? Cost,install,where to buy them ect...?

Again thanks for all the info, helps out a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

atc250r

Staff member
You can buy a KD chip from dsmchips.com.

John

DougPorcaro

Welcome Jake! This is Doug.

Quoting JustTouge:

I am storing the car for winter, I live in wisconsin and we use lots of salt on the roads. Right now the car is Rust free, and I would like to keep it that way.

Makes me so happy to hear you say that. Stick to it!!

Those KD chips over at DSMchips.com seem really universal. Do you tell them whats done to your car and they create a chip for it or is it the same chip sold to everyone.

Does it matter what kind of intercooler I upgrade too? Does it matter if its off brand?

^On the order form you tell Jeff all your mods, any questions just ask him. He really knows his stuff.

On the intercooler, ETS cores are pretty nice but look around ebay if you can get your own piping made. I love my ETS core just because the endtanks are spot on and you dont have to do much.

fivestardsm

Welcome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lonewolf64

It is mod specific. Jeff (aka Keydiver) is a member on the forums here if you have any specific questions, but all you do is tell him what mods you have and what options you want and he makes you chip and sends it out. I recommend that you hold off on the chip until you have the money to upgrade the MAS and injectors at the same time. While the 550s are fine if you don't plan to run more than ~15-18psi, there is really no reason why you shouldn't get ~750cc injectors and with your current modlist easily run 20psi without any detriment to drivability and reliability, granted that you do all the proper maintenance for your vehicle.

As for what kind of intercooler you should upgrade to, I would say that all depends on your level of skill/fabrication. If you are comfortable with fabbing up your own intercooler piping your choices are limitless. I recommend not cheaping out on the intercooler however since ebay specials sometimes are not designed very well and because of this incur a large pressure drop or have bad welds that may crack under boost, not to mention that none of the "ebay special" kits will come with piping that will fit your car.

Personally I went with the ETS GVR4 specific kit: click which is the only kit on the market that is bolt on for the GVR4. It is a little pricey, but it is simply the best thing out there for our cars.

If that is too rich for your blood, you can adapt a Evo VIII or IX intercooler and have a shop build the piping for you. Actually I remember member Jonvr4 made a run of Evo intercooler pipes specifically to retrofit to the vr4. If you contact him again he may either have a set of be willing to make one.

Last edited:

Alright, again I want to thank all of you for your time and knowledge. This is a very helpful and friendly forum.

So what I have received so far throughout this thread and the research that I have done is that I need these things…
1. Intercooler/piping/BOV upgrade
2. Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
3. Keydiver chip
4. Manual Boost Controller
5. 750cc Injectors
6. MAS??? Not sure why or what I need to upgrade too. GM or 2G MAS? Why is this needed?

Also, I am finding little information dealing with suspension set-ups. I am an occasional Autocrosser, and am looking for something decent on the track, and the street. I already have the AGX’s and was thinking of matting those to a set of ground control coilovers. Any other opinions?

Thanks for the support people.

Lonewolf64

1) All good, but you do not need to buy an aftermarket BOV. The 1g stock is a great unit. However for boost pressures ~15psi or higher the stocker may leak boost it is wise to consider the Dejon tool leak stop mod. This mod can be found here: click under "BOV-Misc-Tools" about halfway down the page. It is a simple $50 mod that will make your 1g BOV perfect for anything you can throw at it.
2) Self explanatory
3) Self explanatory
4) Self explanatory
5) Self explanatory
6) The reason for upgrading the MAS is because the 1g is an incredible bottleneck along with the entire stock intake system. It's highly recommend to relocate your battery to either the trunk or to where the intake sits stock, and relocate the intake to where the battery is in the stock position. I recommend a 2g MAS because it is cheap and good for 400-500whp before it becomes a severe limiting factor. You'll need a 2g MAS, a pigtail harness adapter (2g to 1g plug in play), a battery relocation, and a "2g style" intake. 2g-to-1g pigtails are available from several forum members currently in the for sale section. NateCrisman has a lot of performance parts for sale including a used 2g MAS with intake pipe for a great price as well.

All you would need to do is decide where you want to relocate your battery to and you will be set.

I'm going to borrow an image from the Member's Ride Post of member 464/2k to illustrate how a 2g MAS/intake and battery relocation would look like.

66504-0-0-0.jpg

Last edited:

Awesome. Great response thank you. Well I think I understand most of the basics that I will need.

The only thing that I have left to ask is... Does it matter what kind of adjustable Fuel pressure regulator I Use? Can it be universal or should I invest in a Galant specific model.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts