The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New gvr4 owner know Notta

Boos929

Recently traded for a 1992 galant vr4 it's pretty much stock aside from built tranny and short shifter etc looking to make a little power was wondering what was my best bet for semi cheap power thanks

gramkrakr89

Welcome!

Be sure to go through maintenance items and weak points before attempting to increase power, or some nasty things may rear their ugly heads. Common problem areas include (but are not limited to) boost leaks, excessive turbo shaft play, timing and balance shaft belts, and other various simple (but rarely ever easy) fixes that can prevent annoying and catastrophic failures alike.

Lots of people make decent power on the stock longblock with no durability issues if mods are done the right way. Remember, maintenance first... mods last.

This site and other DSM forums have a wealth of info about all kinds of simple (again, not always easy) ways to gain higher output reliably. For this particular board, the search function becomes much more useful by using quotes along with + and - to narrow your results ex.( +"turbo" -"Re:" )

Good luck with your new ride!

mitsuturbo

Mods for performance? I'd say oil pressure and boost gauges, as well as dsmlink.. first thing. With all the options. That will give you a great starting point, as well as boost control and logging/diagnostic of anything/everything in the event something isn't going quite right. Then you can do exhaust, intake(pre turbo), fuel pump, injectors, FMIC, turbo, cams. I don't know about anybody else, but I'd pretty much do it in that order, if it were me doing it all over again.

Boos929

Thanks I do have a oil pressure gage and a body gage already an am in the process of all the maintenance you speak of do you know of any good brands for the mods you speak of

citymunky

autometer would the cheapest one I would use.

Boos929

with the dsm link would i have to bring it to pro to be tuned or are there pre tuned settings on it when your buy them i know absolutly nothing about dsmm cars haha

gramkrakr89

There's no real pre-tuned settings in ECMlink, but it does allow you to change and tune various things about engine operation that you would not otherwise be able to. Out of the box, it is configured to be plug n' play with the factory setup, retaining almost all stock settings and functionality. These can be modified as you make changes to the engine setup.

It's best to have someone experienced get you started, but the interface is very user-friendly and easy to learn if you can understand how the engine operates and why.

The important thing is to get the car sorted so that there are no problems before you start making changes. Otherwise, you could be chasing gremlins forever.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned