The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Gvr4 owner! ????/2000 :l

nsin

Just purchased car a couple weeks ago, after selling my evo8. '91 white, has 185xx on chassis, and according to previous owner, 170k on gsx g1 engine ;/ 16gsmall im assuming, because evos 16g was bigger. But the hotside looks the same if not slightly smaller. abs removed, 4ws removed, and no sunroof /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Im fairly new to dsm, so this first gen stuff is a bit different heh.

I have questions.. replacing maf(same thing as mas, correct?) either gm?, or evo mafs can be hooked up via pigtail. Will i need extra modification for this to work. Or just slap it on and go? lol

Also, can i put a different compressor housing on this turbo? evo housing maybe

This cars mainly go be used for autox. So more than likely be ordering suspension stuff soon. But a lil more power would be nice.

Cheers,
Nelson

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

Welcome. You can't use a GM MAF by just pluging it in. It needs a MAF translator. Yes, it is also referred to as a MAS. I personally wouldn't mess with swapping housings.

And just a heads up, some guys take offeense to the GVR4 being called a DSM. Not that I am one of them.

nsin

Thanks for the welcome!
Oh really dsm, what do u guys call it, gvr?
Ok, so ill just focus on suspension, for now. Make her workout, lighten her up some more. And a good cleaning!
I pulled everything out, and found a bit of water on the passenger/driver foot area. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Rained a few days.. any ideas? I didnt see any major rust, so good there.
Looking forward to taking her out for a spin soon.

Nelson

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

Here's the distinction. DSM stands for Diamond Star Motors, and it was a joint venture with Chrysler. All DSMs were built in Normal, IL.

Galant VR4s were not part of this venture, and were built strictly by Mitsubishi Motors of Japan. They were built in Japan and shipped over. Galants don't have a DSM badge on the vin plate either.

Basically, DSM guys think GVR4s are DSMs. And GVR4 owners think they are something totally different. IMO, neither view point is really accurate. Its a technicality.

Anyways, your interior metal all looks pretty solid. It sounds like you have a good plan set out for the car.

James

The general consensus is anything with a 4g63 is labeled "DSM".

LIV4PSI

I heard white ones were there fastest /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

nsin

Yes!! Oh thats cool, nice to know your here. i havent been able to contact him. i just encounterd a smog problem, i posted new topic. but is it true i wont pass smog bcuz of swapped engine?

moduleunknown

What was the "smog problem" you encountered? ...I did respon in your other thread.

If you're interested in seeing what I did with that car - thread

Sorry the paint in the engine bay is a little soft. It was my first try at painting anything. haha. I started that project after I had been laid off a while back and had more time on my hands than I knew what to do with.

Only reason I got rid of it was because I found #777. I wanted a badge (silly, maybe). 777 is the number I've been using for autox. The exterior of 777 was in better shape.

As it sits now, your car has the front and rear bumpers for #777 as well as the front and rear seats. Your front and rear subframes, engine and drivetrain all came from a 90 GSX. When I got rid of that car I stripped it down (yet again) and gave the shell away without those items. The guy you bought it from used his 90 GSX as a donor.

nsin

Ok, well i went by local smog, and tech quickly glanced at it, and said i need to fix the oil leak (ithink its just the cracked vc), no numbers on cat to match car?, and asked if it was original motor. To which i replied no, eclipse motor. He comes back with, well i would have to investigate it more when you return after addressing issues. wtf im not thx. lol

Wow just saw you old thread, you did alot of work to it, very impressed! The paint is cherry btw, still holding great! Glad you took good care of her.

Im still a newb with gvr4, always wanted one, since late nineties, then i purchased a impreza gc8. lol

Nelson

Quoting LIV4PSI:
I heard white ones were there fastest /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

+1

citymunky

Quoting nsin:
Ok, well i went by local smog, and tech quickly glanced at it, and said i need to fix the oil leak (ithink its just the cracked vc), no numbers on cat to match car?, and asked if it was original motor. To which i replied no, eclipse motor. He comes back with, well i would have to investigate it more when you return after addressing issues. wtf im not thx. lol

Wow just saw you old thread, you did alot of work to it, very impressed! The paint is cherry btw, still holding great! Glad you took good care of her.

Im still a newb with gvr4, always wanted one, since late nineties, then i purchased a impreza gc8. lol

Nelson

Cali is gay

dsm10o0

Welcome man.

I suggest bringing the car to a different smog station. IF they ask if its stock, say it is. I passed ca smog with 87 octane mixed with 2 gallons of e85. As long as your engine bay is stock with the airbox still in place as well as vacuum's/emission stuff, you shouldnt have a problem.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned