The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Guy with a transmission question.

Hi everyone. I own a 91 Talon and was told by a Galant guy that this would be a good place to learn neat things. Like, will a Galant transmission work in my Talon? 2.0 TSI 2WD 5 speed manual. If so, can I just replace the 5th gear assembly? and if so again, where the heck do I find one? I inhereted this car, and know zip about them. 119,000 mi, uses no oil, turbos' good, body is mint, original paint, nothing changed from the factory. Hate to get rid of it because it won't stay in fifth gear. And the Jesus nut is tight, so it must be the syncro. And that is the limit of my knowlege. Anyway, I'm 60 years old and must be entering my second childhood. My son calls the talon my Babe mobile. Be nice if he was right.

Welcome. This guy has the coolest figgin' name /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Barnes

Actually, if it won't stay in 5th, and that is the only problem, you might be able to simply fix it. You can access the 5th gear set, 5th gear fork, hub/slider, and syncro by simply pulling off the end case of the transmission. This is a very easy procedure. Did you check the big 36mm end shaft nut yourself?

raptorWagon

Quoting SouthCaliVR4:
Turbo or n/a?

Need to know this, if you are asking about a Galant VR-4 Transmission the answer is no because it's a AWD trans and you have a FWD car. If it's a regular 89-93 Galant transmission your talking about, I wouldn't recommend swapping that trans in at all into your TSI since it's meant for a non-turbo car and not a turbocharged car (Strength wise). However depending on where you are, you could source a working trans from another FWD turbo car, either a '91-94 Talon TSI, Eclipse GST, or Laser RS as they are all identical under the hood.

Welcome to the board!

Last edited by a moderator:

Barnes

Time out guys. I think you need to re-read his post. He has a 91 Talon TSI 2wd, So a turbo FWD DSM. I'm not sure why he is asking about swapping in a GVR-4 tranny, but let's ignore that for now.

As his post asks, can he just replace 5th gear? That is his only problem. If he is only having trouble with 5th gear and nothing else, he *should* be able to replace that easily by removing the end case.

Garfield: Check out this page here. Look at the first few pictures. This shows you how to remove all the 5th gear components. Note: even though this is page telling you how to rebuild the the tranny, it gives the pics and info to get at the parts you need to replace. http://vfaq.com/mods/Trannyrebuild.html

Barnes

Here is another picture of the entire 5th gear (and reverse) hub/slider and syncros. As you can see, it is just underneath the end case. So again, very easy to get to while it is still in the car.

13.jpg

Last edited:

Ok, I'm getting the idea that swapping a Galant tran to a Talon is not good. Ok, yeah, let’s forget I asked that. I do however, like the idea about checking the 5th gear assembly and maybe get away with just repairing that. And I found a parts supplier from one of the FAQ's, so this has been helpful. Thank you gentleman.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned