The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New guy from Mass with a 4G63 Ram 50 and now a GVR4

4wheelsqueal

Should have looked at this thread earlier!! Awesome D50. AND....I used to own 1803! Wondered where this one ended up. Ok back story as far as I know. I bought it from a guy on here who lived in Florida, FCR. The back story I got from him was that it was that a local shop in Florida did the firewall swa and that's as far as it was when FCR bought it. He was moving and had to get rid of it so I bought it and had a good friend bring it up here to Wisconsin. Started looking for more rhd pieces but got fed up with working on the gvr4 platform soo much (had 5 gvr4's, 2 1g's and 2 2g's at the same time) so I sold it to a member in New York, I forget who. He had it hauled out there but got a deal on a complete rhd galant out of Canada so 1803 went up for sale again and I lost track of it from there. Until now! Hope this helps fill in some of the holes in the backstpry. Good luck with her!

4g63mightymax

Thanks for the kind words everybody!

4wheelsqueal - Yes, I did some research and this car has been unfinished through many owners! The history seems to begin at the moment FCR bought it. Before that, I can't find anything about this car. I would love to know what happened to the RHD HVAC parts when it was converted, because those are kind of a major part of the dash that I would love to have. I also noticed that the tires that are on it were made in 2010, but I highly doubt that this car was on the road then. So my guess is that they came from another VR4 somewhere along the way. I'm hoping to get another pile of random parts that come with this car very soon. Once I do that, I will evaluate where I'm at and determine what I will do with it next. I think putting it back to stock form in LHD or RHD fashion will be a pricey endeavor considering nearly every nut and bolt from the trunk forward is missing, but we'll see. The body is very clean and rust-free. I'm also ambitious and have built things from less /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I can't wait to get started!

raptorWagon

Quoting 4g63mightymax:
Well, its a Frankenstein transmission. It is technically a "narrow block KM132" from a Mightymax/Ram 50 with a 2.0L engine....
....But it has KM132 wideblock internals
...And a starquest tail section to move the shifter rearward 3 inches (due to the 4G63 engine placement)
...And I converted it to be a hydraulic clutch by welding in a new bellhousing piece from a diesel...

I also use a 6-bolt fwd flywheel with a pilot bearing machined into the center, a 225mm clutch disc and DSM pressure plate.

G52 clutch disc?

4g63mightymax

The clutch disc I have was from SouthBend Clutch. I'm not sure what it was intended for, but it is the Mightymax/Ram 50 spline with a 225mm diameter. From what I have gathered over the last 7 years though, is that a 3G Eclipse 3.0L clutch disc is basically the same thing. I haven't tested it myself though, so I can't be sure.

presterone

Hey jeremy you messaged me on newengdsm. Im going to mass this weekend if you need any parts let me know. I have the dash, steering column e.t.c a bunch of stuff you will probably need

transparentdsm

please keep it RDH. its such a rare, rare thing. if you do plan to LHD it please pm me as i would possible like to find a clean RHD shell and buy it and trade you shells or just interior parts.

4g63mightymax

Presterone - Got any pictures of what you have? Shoot me a PM if do!

Transparentdsm - Do you have a shell as clean as this one? If I do swap it back to LHD - all the RHD parts will be up here for sale for sure. Like I said earlier though, I'm still not really sure what I will do with the car at the moment. If the RHD swap was more complete I would like it more, but I hate the idea of paying trillions of dollars to ship little nicknacks all around the world to complete this swap. When complete it would not be worth the money that I had into it.

transparentdsm

well if i really wanted to 138's shell is super clean, no rust. i dont really want to pull that car apart again. my whole thing is that the brake booster, master cylinder, steering column, steering rack and some other things are already done and id just hate to see all that hard work go to waste. even if its not me, before you go actually converting it back to LHD give some people the chance to trade. there is a lot of hard work into what has already been done. post up some interior pictures. depending on how complete the car is maybe i will rip 138 apart.

4g63mightymax

I will take some pictures and post them up for you soon. The whole dash area is apart, and the dash is just a shell of a RHD dash (in poor shape btw). It appears to still have all the LHD wiring in it, but flipped around, so my guess is that the wiring would need some help as well. I'm not too sure though yet.

How would you guys feel it I made it rear wheel drive? Basically the same engine/trans setup as my truck. Would that be awesome or a tragedy in your mind?

transparentdsm

right hand drive, rear wheel drive, drift car?? i like the idea. yeah i understand if the dash is really that bad. i would personally try to make it work because of how rare the car is to begin and this is even more so.

4g63mightymax

Well, it wouldn't be a drift car really. It would just be a car that's RWD instead of AWD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I have a bunch of spare rwd 4G63 stuff, so that's the only reason why I would even consider it. The crappy part would be making a front subframe with the steering rack more toward the front so the transmission has room to live. But then I could sell the RHD subframe to offset some cost... I dunno. I'm basically just trying to build a usable car as cheaply as I possibly can. Hmmm. Tough decisions!

4g63mightymax

And some interior shots with the dash out.

1803vr4interior_1.jpg

1803vr4interior_2.jpg

1803vr4interior_3.jpg

and with the dash sitting in place...

1991-Galant-VR4-1803_10.jpg

Last edited:

curtis

Ok looked through the build thread. Spotted green army tool bag greasy and dirty.......matches mine.....build approved. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Jordangvr4

Nice to see you building the shell, I thought Rob was going to keep it . I have the rhd interior parts for the car front door panels and center console rhd. Also have a few parts that were left behind when Rob picked it up.if interested pm me. (Keep it Rhd)

transparentdsm

^ now you have to keep it RHD. if you plan to change it let me know because if jordan has the parts i might have to figure out a way to finish the project then.

GSX_TC

Nice truck man, i love 4G swapped lil trucks. i also agree on keeping the car RHD and finishing it or atleast trading or selling it to someone that wants to finish it. I would love to have a RHD VR4.

4g63mightymax

Don't get me wrong, I would love to finish the rhd swap for sure. I just think it will cost me way more than the car will ever be worth. So for now, I'm not sure what the plan will be. Luckily, I'm not in a big rush /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

Hertz

Staff member
Jeremy you made me LOL. RHD or not, you're starting underwater with a VR-4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jesus_Negros

Quoting 4g63mightymax:
Don't get me wrong, I would love to finish the rhd swap for sure. I just think it will cost me way more than the car will ever be worth. So for now, I'm not sure what the plan will be. If I can Coe up itch. Luckily, I'm not in a big rush /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sell it to me I'll finish the RHD'ness

4g63mightymax

Sweet! Modified Magazine just got the article about my 4G63 Dodge Ram 50 truck onto their website today. If you have a few minutes - feel free to check it out.

link

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts