The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

new ecu STILL NO START?

yeti

SO i got my new ecu in the mail today popped out my ecm chip and into the other one i plugged the new ecu in and as soon as i turn the key i hear clicking of the relays going apeshit.

still no start now im confused im going to hook up my laptop to see if it will allow me to connect on dsmlink, if i cant connect to the ecu does that mean the ecu is fried?
(this ecu looks alot better than the one i just had)

Diego

Did you remember to ground the ecu to the frame before starting?

Pics please.

yeti

hmm my ecu has never been grounded but il try adding one to the many places..

theres no corrosion or anything on this ecu that leads me to believe is coroded, il get pics up asap

yeti

also it cranks like its trying to start but just wont fire.....

starting to think an ignition problem?

thought the relays clicking like crazy leads me to believe its electrical

grocery_getter

Did you check the new ecu board for bad caps?

yeti

yes the caps on the news board were very fresh no signs of leakage or anything.

the whole board is very clean, im suprised this did not fix my problem

so far ive.

killed battery trying to start
connected ecu with a ground
tested iac and it was bad so replaced with new one.

not sure of where to go from here

il try to start in in about an hour when my battery is charged

Barnes

Check your battery ground. I had this exact same issue when I had only minor corrosion on my battery ground post. Bad grounds can do weird things.

yeti

battery posts are shiny clean and i just got battery back from kragen..

this is pissing me off, it cranks all day long but wont fire

yeti

tested the ect sensor voltage and resistance test i get 0 -.01 volts with the key on the on possition and i get 1900 ohms with the car cold and the key in the on posistion...

i dont know if i cant get a good reading out of the sensor i tried a dozen times and continue to get 0 volts i tried diffrent ground points and switched back aND FORth between the two prongs

yeti

just tested resistance at each injector and got 41 ohms for every one also checked all the wires and there good.

im getting fuel pressure to the rail.

i just did a compression test the other day and was getting compression in each cylinder.

im so confused right now i dont know what to do.

mitsu90

Might be a stupid suggestion but have you checked the mpi relay and fuse? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

DR1665

ECU does not have to be physically bolted to the unibody to work. Mine's been sitting on the floor since I got the car. No worries there.

Next, double check your plug wires. Seriously. I spent a WEEK ohming out the harness between the coil, transducer, continuum transfunctioner, and ECU, swapping ECUs left and right, only to find I had two plug wires swapped. EPIC FAIL TIME and it can happen to the best of us.

Also make a point of inspecting the wire harness down by the ECU. You never know. The previous owner might have spliced together strands of Christmas lights with butt connectors up under the dash and your hulking the ECU out might have pulled a ground loose.

Your symptoms are indicative of the ECU not being connected. Forget everything you've tried thus far. Start over with the simplest, most basic things you can do.

Good luck, turbohair.

yeti

bout ready to blow up.....

so my check engine light does not turn off while in the on position

are you suggesting i go threw each wiring harness wire, cause i dont know why it would all the sudden start ACTING UP LIKE THIS.

so does the ect not reading any voltage doesent mean anything

but i agree with you dr1665 symptoms are like the ecu isnt even connected so where do i start the ecu is getting power i tested pin 101,102,106,107
which are ground and 12v sources.....

could my diagnostic port be blown (but that doesent explain why it doesent start)

should i go buy/return an obd1 sensor real quik and pull that code?

fuel

all you need to pull codes is an LED or a low power piezo buzzer, even an analog voltmeter.

The check engine light will not light up if the ECU is not getting power.

SouthCaliVR4

So you did have an ecu in there before right? Pop it back in & see if the car fires up or potentialy waste hours chasing a problem that isn't there.

Maybe a dumb question but have you checked for spark, and do the plugs have the smell of fuel?

Yeah check your coils and wires and u might wanna put a fresh set of spark plugs on it

yeti

I do have another ecu but I bought this one to fix this problem. I'm going to try that tommarow though, the funny thing is when I put the new ecu in there went to go fire the car up the relays went apeshit , and the car did fired start but then 1 click and the car was dead hasn't started since.
I'm thinking that was the bad iac frying the new ecu....

And I have spark on all cylinders and no my plugs don't smell like gas

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts