The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

new cams... which ones which?

Woosky117

i bought a set of cams from a guy on here. they are the 94 GS galant cams. i want to know which is the exhaust cam, and which is the intake cam. the only visible difference is that one of them has one dot bump thing, and the other has five bumpy dots. which is which? thanks

and also i bought a set of aem adjustable cam gears to go with them, but i need to know if they just need to be set at zero, or a positive or negative number for angle.

thanks guys!

IncorpoRatedX

one has a slit across the end, the other doesnt.

the slit is for the cam angle sensor, which is located on the intake cam. Comprende?

with cylinder 1 at top dead center, the the CAS has a line on one of the two ears that insert into the cam, the line should be pointed towards the front of the engine bay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Woosky117

awesome, thanks! i missed that difference.

now about the angle of the cam gears? set at 0? or a different number?
thanks

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting Alpha Male:
one has a slit across the end, the other does.

the slit is for the cam angle sensor, which is located on the exhaust cam. Comprende?

Josh, I believe it's the intake cam that drives the cas.

I don't have a 4g63 motor in front of me right now, so can someone else verify that?

Thanks!

464/2K

^this.

Woosky117

thank you for that verrification. ^^

now, does anyone know about the aem cam gears that i have? set to 0, or is it different for our application?

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting toybreaker:
Quoting Alpha Male:
one has a slit across the end, the other does.

the slit is for the cam angle sensor, which is located on the exhaust cam. Comprende?

Josh, I believe it's the intake cam that drives the cas.

I don't have a 4g63 motor in front of me right now, so can someone else verify that?

Thanks!

Fixed that. Half awake posting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

boostedinaz

Unless you plan on degreeing the cams or spending a lot of time on the dyno to get your power curve exactly as you want, those cam gears are a waste. If you decide to put them on leave them at 0.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned