The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

need some car towing input

14u2nV

I'm getting another vr4, no engine/trans/interior/driveshaft/etc. I need some input on towing options. I've narrowed it down to either building my own car dolly or using one of the a-frame contraptions like rv's use to tow cars. Anyone have experience towing a car with that setup? I've pulled with a dolly before, so that's no trouble, but I wonder about the other way. It would be easier on the truck I would think, but I'm curious about the car wheels wanting to turn on their own. I've been told they follow the pulling vehicles path, but I'm skeptical. Any input? We've got one of the a-frames, but have to modify it to work on the galant with no bumper, piece of cake really. It's an 8 hour trip back, so I don't really want to have any issues arise.

BoostedAWD91

i would just rent a car trailer from uhaul and put it on the back of that so u know nothing will happen to it. that is how we picked up seans galant that didnt have any engine or anything and worked great

14u2nV

Don't want to risk pulling a trailer with car on it that far with my truck. It's an 89 f150 4wd/str 6. I think it would do it, but that's a long way if it starts having trouble.

*couple years ago, we pulled an ls galant from Chicago on a car dolly with a 94 Explorer/v6, and it was fine (other than a dolly blowout /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif).

Last edited:

BoostedAWD91

we did it with a early 80's F150 that was 2WD and had no problems

Last edited:

Brianawd

If its does not have a drive shaft just use a dolly.

14u2nV

Dolly is a definite, the "option" is the a-frame piece. I need to know if hauling it with that would be easy or more of a pain.

Terry Posten

If this is the car I think it is, then that truck will pull it no problem.

The car is VERY light.

464/2K

Quoting Brianawd:
If its does not have a drive shaft just use a dolly.

For sure Ken, if it does just unbolt the drive shaft from the diff.

atc250r

Staff member
If the car is not registered and insured you can't legally put it on a dolly or flat tow it. It must be on a trailer so that no wheels are touching the ground.

John

toybreaker

iconoclast
Kenny, with no motor/tranny, it's likely there's no front axles either.

This is bad becasue the front outer c.v.s pinch the wheel bearing together. Without them there pinching things together while towing on all four wheels, the front bearings could begin to come apart, and then things will get noisy fast.

In addition, (and I might be talking out of school here, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) but I *believe* there may be another factor to consider here. The tonal frequency generated from the rotor scraping the dustshield *may* be close enough to the mating cry of the hormonally ripe female white tail deer, and strong enough in amplitude that it may draw a sizable portion of the area's randy male deer population directly into your vector of travel...

...kinda like a deer call gone horribly wrong...

disclaimer I could be wrong, but do you wanna take that chance? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

As a reference, I towed a complete vr4 back from california on a car dolly from sea level to 7100ft, thru raging blizzards in the dead of winter, uphill (both ways /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) with a lil 4 cyl toyota 4x4, so you should be fine... towing a shell on the flat... just doooo it!

14u2nV

I believe the axles are there, but I plan on taking the hub parts anyway to prevent that, but good looking out. I'll cut the dust shields off, don't need them anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Legality, as I said, I got another one from Chicago and pulled it back with no registration, and I've pulled several around this area. If it is a law, they don't target you for it (I'd imagine better things to do). Even so, I'll have the title, hopefully if I were to have trouble, that would help.

Last edited:

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quote:
I believe the axles are there, but I plan on taking the hub parts anyway to prevent that, but good looking out. I'll cut the dust shields off, don't need them anyway.

o

i

c

You had already considered this problem, my apologies...

Well, just so you know, your plan of towing on all fours, and gently juking the steering back and forth, causing the rotors to gently carress against the caliper carriers in hopes of generating a series of rising/falling tonal frequencies in order to seduce the kiddies away from their ps3's and out into the streets in search of the ice cream truck, while tecnically sound, has some flaws as well... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Just saying.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

CarRacer

Toybreaker seems to be in a good mood. He must get excited about towing cars or something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned