The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need input on some cylinders

Spyder

I am tearing into the engine of the car I bought from Asmo.

He said the engine was blown because the head gasket was leaking and the previous owner put stop leak in the coolant. The stop leak got into the cylinders and scored the sides. He had it bored over .20 and used Mitsubishi parts to rebuild it. The head is trashed and that was addressed earlier.

I have a link to pictures I took of the cylinders and one picture of a rod bearing with damage. I need some help diagnosing and trying to see if I am fucked on the block or not.

Under each picture is the file name and it designates which cylinder it is and which wall you are looking at. For instance, Cyl_1_Intake would be Cylinder 1, intake side wall. Etc.

You can not feel the marks in the cylinder walls, just see them.

The rod bearing has pitting like it started coming apart. I have never seen that before.

If anyone could give me a hand I would appreciate it.

Link Here. Photos

rdomeck

I would run a hone thru them and check with a dial bore gauge. Just run the hone enough to take away that scoring. That is if you really can't feel it with your finger nail!

prove_it

What kind of power was this thing making before failure? What is your goal for this engine? What do the pistons look like, are they grooved? I'd run up to 300 CHP with just a simple hone job. Anything more and you might have ring sealing issues. I'd like to see what others have to say though. You need a rod though.

Oh and if you need I can see about locating a block up here if you need.

Last edited:

Spyder

why do I need a rod?

The power is not much. I don't know numbers at all but probably not much over stock. It has a small 16g. That's about it.

The picture of the rod has the bearings installed, the damage is on the bearings.

GEDengineering

Measure the bore and check it for tapper, if it has more that 0.1 mm of tapper it will have to be bored over again. Also check the piston wall to piston clearance those scores may be from piston slap due to improper claerance. if you need the factory service manual just let me know I can provide you the link and it will describe all the info i dicussed above.

GED Engineering

prove_it

Quoting Spyder:
why do I need a rod?

The power is not much. I don't know numbers at all but probably not much over stock. It has a small 16g. That's about it.

The picture of the rod has the bearings installed, the damage is on the bearings.

Rod looks burnt. If it's heavily discolored it may be out of round/tapered or possibly fatigued. Being a low power build you might be ok, but there is a chance. Like mentioned, measure out the cylinder and check it's condition. You might be able to run it after a good hone.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned