The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need help taking a holset turbo apart .

Vr4junkie

I have this Holset HY35 that I'm trying to take apart but the exhaust housing seems to be really stuck on there I tried heating it up but still no luck any tips.

strokin4dr

stop.....Hammer time!

Vr4junkie

I been using a hammer with a flat head screw driver to open it but nothing even with the housing heated up.

Tommyd

Just had issues with the same thing on a holset. I put the whole turbo in the oven for 45 mintues, took it out then upside can of compressed air the center section. Came apart very easily after. Tried soaking/heating/Hammer and nothing worked before that.

EHmotorsports

I had the same issue. I soaked the seam with pb blaster for a couple days and then used a rubber mallet to rotate it. Then it came right off

Vr4junkie

Quoting Tommyd:
Just had issues with the same thing on a holset. I put the whole turbo in the oven for 45 mintues, took it out then upside can of compressed air the center section. Came apart very easily after. Tried soaking/heating/Hammer and nothing worked before that.

How many degrees did you bake it for?

Olson

Put a damn torch to it and beat it off. sh*t dude its not complicated

Vr4junkie

Well I got it apart put it in the oven and sprayed the center section with a can of air duster upside down still had a hard time but it came apart eventually.

Tre3zy

Just for future reference this is how i take the exhaust housing out... I put a bolt on top of the turbo to exhuast housing bolt and as you loosen that bolt that other bolt will be pushed agaisnt the housing making the housing to go up... I use 2 and loosen them up evenly and constantly checking the turbine wheel to make sure it still spinning something i learn from justin over at the dsm forum...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts