The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need help picking gauges!

alansupra94

Well I am in the need of some gauges but I want it to match the factory green backlight. (My AEM UEGO wideband doesn't match -_- but I got it for free so I am not complaining)

I currently have some kind of boost gauge (I think autometer? Its a mechanical boost gauge) and it does match the stock green backlight. I personally don't like mechanical boost gauges so I might be tossing it.

So, if you don't mind, show me some gauges that you guys like?

BluFalcon

I'm big fan of Greddy and VDO gauges. I've got a set of the old Peak/Hold 60mm GReddy EGT and Boost gauges with green back lighting. Unfortunately, these have been discontinued. For some of my auxilary gauges, I prefer VDO. I have a set of 52mm VDO Vision gauges for oil pressure, oil temp and water temp that'll go underneath the radio, using a old Mofugas Motorsports 3 Gauge DIN panel. VDO is used as OEM instrumentation on a lot of European cars, and parts like sending units, and gauges are available separately without costing an arm and a leg.

I haven't jumped on the Prosport bandwagon, because I haven't gotten to see an example up close yet. Autometer lost me as a customer when I had to replace two oil pressure sending units in a year, and I picked up a boost gauge off the shelf that was already out of calibration.

PLX also has some interesting LCD gauges that allow up to 4 parameters to be displayed on one gaue, but the sensor modules are rather pricey.

Diego

I got what you want.... I run prosport electrical boost guage and can have white in the day/night or green in the day/night. Or white in the day green at night and vis versa.... looks sweet and the closing/opening scence is the shizzle hands down.

Hey ^^^^^ bandwaggon????? What shouldn't it be personal choice? As apperance I have had C2 and Phantom autometer*s..... they work yeah......, but these are sweet, cheap, work well and have a drivers taste of colors

Last edited:

alansupra94

I will be looking into prosport, greddy and VDO.

Thanks guys.

Keep the comments coming!

BluFalcon

I say "bandwagon" because everybody and their brother seems to be buying these things, and I know almost next to nothing about where they're made, or what kind of support you can expect if you need to replace a sending unit or sensor. I worked in a turbine engine test cell for a little over 9 years, and I recognize the importance of having reliable gauges that show accurate information, 100% of the time. VDO and Greddy have been around a long time, and have been used in numerous race applications and have a good reputation. Prosport? Haven't heard anything good or bad, but I'll stick with what I know works. Just a personal opinion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

raptorWagon

Prosport has a lot of mixed reviews, most of it is for a lot of people having issues trying to get the two different back lights to work properly. I never could get mine to work correctly, so I just stayed with the white back lighting. Personally I rather get some Defi or VDO gauges, boost gauge is exactly off by 3psi.

MMCVR4

I use a VDO mechanical boost gauge on mine. I like it, except it's a bit dark with the green back lighting. Otherwise, it does it's job. Not a bad deal too for $35, when I bought it new.

alansupra94

Quoting raptorreed:
Prosport has a lot of mixed reviews, most of it is for a lot of people having issues trying to get the two different back lights to work properly. I never could get mine to work correctly, so I just stayed with the white back lighting. Personally I rather get some Defi or VDO gauges, boost gauge is exactly off by 3psi.

I got a whole set of DEFI gauges for my Supra. They are nice but the backlight isn't green on the ones I got. Also, they were pretty expensive.

I might browse craigslist and ebay to see what I can find.

alansupra94

Well I found some VDO gauges but they are stocks off Audi, VW and Porsche.

Are they still accurate? I am use to car manufacture to having shitty accuracy.

Thanks,
Alan

BluFalcon

I've ordered aftermarket VDO gauges and sending units from here: EGauges-VDO Gauges . Sometimes you can find a better deal on individual parts through large parts house websites like Jegs or Summit, but these guys are priced pretty good for the most part. As far as accuracy goes, well I would trust these more than some off brand made in Taiwan gauge that just came on the market. Just my opinion, but if it makes you feel better check on some other sites and see what everyone else thinks about them.

Last edited:

Diego

Quoting raptorreed:

Did you run your secondary wire to the acc light switch... so to when you pop your lights on at night the guage goes into its secondary color.

You know our cars have that button in the gauge cluster that changes the light from green to orange...I like AEM gauges alot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4Grim

I persoally run Prosport gauges on both my Galants and I find them to be very accurate and easy to install.

Prosport customer support/service is top notch too..had a issue with my boost vac sending unit and turn around time for the new one was 2 days.

Boostdtalon

It may not be green but I have a defi boost gauge and a autometer water temp. They both work great just wish mine were alittle
more matching. The autometer came with the car and saw no reason to swap it out.

alansupra94

Quoting BluFalcon:
I've ordered aftermarket VDO gauges and sending units from here: EGauges-VDO Gauges . Sometimes you can find a better deal on individual parts through large parts house websites like Jegs or Summit, but these guys are priced pretty good for the most part. As far as accuracy goes, well I would trust these more than some off brand made in Taiwan gauge that just came on the market. Just my opinion, but if it makes you feel better check on some other sites and see what everyone else thinks about them.

Okay I will look it up.

I realized, I really don't need too much accuracy. As long as it is relatively correct regarding oil pressure and water temperature, I will be happy.

Thanks guys,
Alan

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts