The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need help on tire size, going for old school look

dmj

I purchased just 1 225/50/15 tire and mounted it on the rim to see how it looked, Pics don't do it justice . It now looks real old school. Now I get to save for some coilovers

Last edited:

cheekychimp

Quoting BKatter:
I have a set of 16x7 with 225/50-16s. I think they give the car a rally look with the 16s and meaty tires. I have pics in my members page.

Quoting Brianawd:
Go look at my members page. I have 16x7s with 225/50/16. I like the look because a 16in wheel is small and putting a low pro tire on makes the wheels wells look big. With the 225/50/16 it makes the wheels wells look filled.

Damn guys that is a nice tyre and rim size choice! (What offset do you both have?)

img.php

I wish I could get that look with the AMG rims but at only 6" wide the largest I can go is 205. Might seriously have to try Wop's 205/15/70 combo.

Can anyone photo shop this with AMG rims and lower it a little /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

img.php

Last edited:

fuel

These are 205/60 R15 on the stock 6" rims, I almost prefer them over the factory 195/50, though I might go 205/55 next time

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

vtecds1

Quoting Struc:
I can take some more pictures if you want. Hopefully this helps. I believe my rims are 7.5" wide, however.
The tires are Bridgestone Potenza RE01R, 225/50/16 on Rota Slipstream wheels.
Ignore the wheel well gap. I have H&R springs with GR-2's on it now.

115982-0-0-0.jpg

Same set up as I wanted to do. Can you take a pic of the car from the back?

cheekychimp

Quoting fuel:
These are 205/60 R15 on the stock 6" rims, I almost prefer them over the factory 195/50, though I might go 205/55 next time

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

Yeah that looks pretty good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Do you have any spacers or adjustable camber arms in the rear? My rears seem to be tucked in much further than that.

Last edited:

RedTwo

16x8.0 with Bridgestone Potenza RE-01 225/50R16. I actually preferred the profile the 245/45R16 had

I think this is Barry's car that he lent out for a photo shoot, AMG wheels but probably factory tyres - 195/60R15

Just a quick hack at AMG wheels and removing some spring coils /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

fuel

cheekychimp - nope completely stock though I think the springs are aftermarket items (not that they lowered the car much or made the ride any stiffer), they are blue underneath all the caked on road grime and the coils in the middle have a plastic sleeve over it. Perhaps it's just the extra ballooney tyres which makes it look like the rims stick out a bit?

This is with Potenza RE540S semi slicks in the same 205/60 size:

DSCF2190.jpg

Last edited:

turbowop

Quoting cheekychimp:

I wish I could get that look with the AMG rims but at only 6" wide the largest I can go is 205. Might seriously have to try Wop's 205/15/70 combo.

Can anyone photo shop this with AMG rims and lower it a little /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I need to take some current pics of the grey car. I lowered it back down after last winter, but kept those tires/wheels on it. It looks dope because the combo fills up the wheelwell nicely. I'll probably get some pics on Saturday.

Last edited:

cheekychimp

Quoting RedTwo:

Yeah that's a little too proud of the wheel wells for me! Is that an odd offset because those stick out a long way for 8" rims. I'm pretty sure the 18 x 8s on the other car tuck under further than that!

Yeah I stuck those AMG rims on my car and that is kind of how it looks right now but a little lower. I love the wheels, they just don't seem to fill the arches enough.

I have a feeling with some bigger tyres it might look really good.

Quoting fuel:
DSCF2190.jpg

You could well be right, I think my rims just need more rubber, but that picture gives me hope.

Quoting turbowop:
I need to take some current pics of the grey car. I lowered it back down after last winter, but kept those tires/wheels on it. It looks dope because the combo fills up the wheel well nicely. I'll probably get some pics on Saturday.

Mark, please do! I'd really like to see how it looks.

Last edited:

RedTwo

Yeah... the offset is up the shooter - the wheels are +30 but the center bore is too small by 2mm so they're spaced out another 10-15mm (or maybe more) to fit. I really need to get them down to the machine shop!

raptorWagon

I might have to try the 205 combo as well, currently on the AMGs I have 195/60R/15s on them.

fuel

Quoting RedTwo:
Yeah... the offset is up the shooter - the wheels are +30 but the center bore is too small by 2mm so they're spaced out another 10-15mm (or maybe more) to fit. I really need to get them down to the machine shop!

Nah you just need some 205/45 tyres and some more lowering/negative camber all round - stretch and poke that bitch!

fuel

I think those tyres are just a little bit too big!

turbowop

It's the perfect size for snow tires, IMO. Super easy to find since it's a common size for Subaru Legacies. I picked up all four of these in good shape for $50 off Craigslist last fall.

cheekychimp

I can't get over what a huge difference 10mm makes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

From

To

Gravel tyres are 205/65/15R that would be somewhere in the middle. Those would probably be quite good for some of the roads I drive on but I guess they'd be pretty rubbish on tarmac. Shame because I have a feeling they might bridge the gap nicely!

Barnes

Ummm, cheeky... the second number in tires sizes is a percentage of tire wide. So a 205/70r15 has a 10% taller sidewall than a 205/60r15. That's about 5" in rolling diameter. Thus why they look huge.

Last edited by a moderator:

fuel

^^ what he said!

Struc

Quoting vtecds1:
Same set up as I wanted to do. Can you take a pic of the car from the back?

Not sure what you were looking for? Wheel gap maybe with the new springs / struts?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts