The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need Help- loud clunking noise from the front passenger side

jasonvr4

Hi all,

Really need some help identifying a loud clunking noise coming from the front passenger front...Remember guys its an aussie car so it would be your driver side.
So far the car is with East Coast suspension shop in sydney and they are lost to were the noise is coming from.
Checked so far
*BC coilover Brandnew been tested all ok
* engine mounts all ok
* A arm bushes all ok
*Crossmember all ok

So any ideas what it could be ?????????????

Please reply asap car is still there need this fixed

Thanks Jasonvr4

Last edited:

Terry Posten

Check the steering rack bushings and the sub frame that houses it. They have been known to crack if some of the bracing is missing or lose.

Kenny_Kline

There is so much to list, I dont even know where to start.

Can you make a list of things they checked? How often it clunks and under what conditions (turning, bumps, etc)

Last edited:

jasonvr4

Ok the noise only happens on bumps but always
they checked the cross member , steering rack , wheel bearings , sub frame ..

Last edited:

Kenny_Kline

End links, sway bar bushings, ball joints, tie rods, subframe bushings.....

Anything with a bushing, check.

Why cant you re-create the noise. Have people bounce the car up and down and hunt it down/feel it out.

jasonvr4

Hi,

End links-done
sway bar bushings-done,
ball joints - done,
tie rods- Done,
subframe bushings - done.....

Anything with a bushing, check.done that

Why cant you re-create the noise. Have people bounce the car up and down and hunt it down/feel it out.

I have also done this but can not re-create - only will do it when I hit bumps in the road??? F____ weird as

GVR4_1057

Drive axle carrier bearing mount /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Barnes

Are SURE the shock/dampner is in good condition? I recommend taking the springs off the coilover and testing the shock/dampener by hand.

broke down

brake caliper or mounting bracket? Could something be loose like the abs unit? those have rubber bushings between the unit and body, maybe one or all came out. Things like these would not show up by simply jouncing the car up and down, like they would when going over railroad tracks. Does the shop have a chassis ear? This may be the next logical step if nothing obvious is loose. (BTW, if you don't know, a chassis ear is a set of alligator clips that are connected to suspect parts and a sound amplifier box via a set of wires, that lets a passenger listen to the different clips with headphones, while going down the road).

656of1000

Strut mount?? Strut blown out??

I agree, it sounds like something in the strut. My only other suggestion would have been swaybar endlinks and/ or bushings, but you say they replaced them.

What if you opened the door all the way and pulled it up and down to rock the car. Would it make the noise then?

chucklesas

It's probably your hood rattling. Replace the hood hinges.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned