The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need advice. Had issues when mating transmission to engine.

JamesFoster

So, I bolted up the PTT twin disc, and went to put the transmission on, but had the hardest time Ive ever had putting a transmission back on. Usually it just slips on with a little effort, this thing wouldn't go on no matter what I tried. I ended up having to use the bolts to pull it together. It's together now, and the throwout bearing and clutch fork feel normal, but I feel nervous like I did something wrong. Is there any way the tranny would still go on if the input shaft and clutch didn't line up properly? I'm gonna have nightmares about this tonight... It's been a long night...

curtis

Which alignment tool did you use the one from ptt or just a cheap plastic one? Probably what it was the first disk was clocked a few thousandths in rotation compared to the second one or one slipped down...fricking gravity as you torqued it up.

5OF2k

Quoting JamesFoster:
So, I bolted up the PTT twin disc, and went to put the transmission on, but had the hardest time Ive ever had putting a transmission back on. Usually it just slips on with a little effort, this thing wouldn't go on no matter what I tried. I ended up having to use the bolts to pull it together. It's together now, and the throwout bearing and clutch fork feel normal, but I feel nervous like I did something wrong. Is there any way the tranny would still go on if the input shaft and clutch didn't line up properly? I'm gonna have nightmares about this tonight... It's been a long night...

That doesnt seem right, at all....Id be nervous too.

It should've slid in just fine, like normally. I agree with Curtis, chances are it wasnt alligned all the way when you were trying to install it.

Another thing tht makes it a tad easier to install is a slight amout of wheel bearing grease on the tip of the input shaft around the spline heads. You dont want to overdo it, obviously because you'll wind up with a contaminated disc set, but just a tad to get the input shaft in initially.

When you were instaling the trans, did the shaft start to go in, and THEN get harder, or was it hard from the get-go? Basically, was it hard to get in from the start, or get harder as you got the trans further and further in? Did you by chance verify the spline cound of the discs to the input shaft?

-Jake

DynastyLCD

when i install my PTT, i typically use an input shaft to align the discs. although not everyone has this luxury. i've done mine before with the plastic alignment tool with success, but you should really either use the tool PTT sells (although the price is a bit high for what it is) or an input shaft to align the two discs.

another good method, is after you bolt on the discs, check alignment by running a flat bladed screwdriver against one of the splines, see if it will smoothly travel down both splines where it transitions, or if it hits due to mis-alignment. you'll know right away. also, a good eyeball check to see that it's generally centered as well.

i've NEVER had to use bolts to install the trans with the PTT. it's always slid right on. the only time i ever had to use the bolts to get the trans to mate to the engine was with a friend's 300ZX project, ironically utilizing a twin disc as well, but using a pilot shaft bearing, which i think caused the difficulty during installation.

Barnes

How big a gap between the tranny and engine did you close by tightening the bolts?

I wouldn't be surprised if you mangled the splines of the second disc, OR your input shaft. Also, the clutch disc needs to be able to move on the input shaft during actuation. If it doesn't, it might end up dragging. If you had to use the bolts to close the gap, and the hang up was the input shaft and the disc, that's not good. That means high potential that the disc will not move freely on the shaft.

Either way you should take it back apart and inspect things. IMO.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

JamesFoster

To answer your questions, I did grease the input shaft, and I do have the metal ptt alignment tool, but I couldn't find it so I used the plastic one instead. That was a mistake. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

So, I pulled the tranny off just now, and basically what happened is, the engine side disc wasn't aligned properly with the tranny side disc. So when I put it on, it went in the first disc fine, and when I couldn't get the gap closed and I forced it, I bent the engine side disc inward. It eventually went in, but not before bowing out the second disc.

I feel like a moron for not realizing this BEFORE I bent the damn disc, but it was super late and I was really frustrated, you know how it goes. I'm still an idiot though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

So I just called PTT, and I'm gonna send in the disc to have it straightened. luckily nothing else was damaged. Lesson learned.

And thank you guys all immensely for your help. Sometimes I don't know what I would do without this forum.

Last edited:

DynastyLCD

hey, sh*t happens. worse case scenario, you buy two disc's brand new, you're into it for $200. no big deal. you didn't ruin the input shaft on the trans, that's the good news /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

prove_it

This reminds me of when my buddy went to tighten down his trans and the bracket for the water pipe was under the bell housing. Cracked the bell housing instantly. Little things man, they always kick your butt.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts