The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need a new boost gauge. Analog or digital? Value in wiring into DSMLink?

EfiniX

I wouldn't have posted this in the tech forum save for the DSMLink question. My autometer boost gauge is out of calibration (needle sitting on the edge of the little rectangle for zero). So, the series of questions goes like this:

Is there utility in wiring a boost gauge into DSM link? If so, I figure i'll need a digital gauge, so that answers the other question. However, if it doesn't get you much (my BoostEst value does track pretty accurately right now), then analog or digital?

If it's just a matter of preference, then who makes the best gauge?

thanks!

prove_it

You can wire in a GM MAP sensor and log that....

No too sure what your asking.

EfiniX

In fact, some of the Autometer and AEM stepper motor boost/vac gauges come with a MAP sensor.

So, here's what I'm asking:

If i'm not running SD, is there a benefit (aside from diagnostics) to sending boost/vac data to DSMLink?

secondary question, any gauge recommendations (which is really more of a Newbie forum question)

prove_it

Logging is nice to see spikes and inconsistency in boost pressure. Also allows you to look at the road rather than the guage.

EfiniX

yeah. I don't look at the gauge while boosting, so I only ever see a blink here and there.

92_talon_awd

The only thing I look at besides the road when I'm giving it the beans is my wideband and that's barely a glance or two. It's nice to have a log of everything else to refer to.

prove_it

And that's the real point of datalogging. A quick glance won't tell you anything. When you have a datalog it will show everything in detail. I don't even bother with gauges in the car honestly. Just an excuse for someone to bust open a window and go to town. You'll never look at gauges mid apex or mid track.

losermakesgood

In case you were interested. You can ship to autometer and they will fix it and send it back for free. I did it with mine and I swear they just sent me a new one lol.

EfiniX

Guess I could and just plug the hose.

CutlassJim

And also the reason that there is a little box at zero and not a line is to compensate for "zero" at the different altitudes that people use their gauge.

Kibby

^^ thats a good thing to know because mine sits around 0 too. Whats the process for having it fixed?

CutlassJim

You would have to crack open the gauge and set the zero at the altitude that you are using it. I never really worry about it because boost pressure is just an arbitrary number that relies on too many factors anyway and doesn't really mean all that much. Airflow is what matters.

People who get all precise with their boost like saying they run 18.3 psi make me want to punch a baby.

Last edited:

EfiniX

Sounds like you need to go to the Original Child Clown Outlet.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned