The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My VR4 has become a headache

Hey good people, i am new to this forum. I own a 1997 galant VR4 which is giving me a serious problem. Let me give you a short history.

2007, original engine knocked so the car was fit with a 4G63 SOHC V6 Engine.
2011, i decided to return it to its lost glory, Fit it with the original 6A13TT DOHC v6 Engine and gearbox.
All has gone well with a few problems here n there but there is one issue which i have been unable to sort out, the vehicle runs and idles well without the Airflow sensor but the second i connect it the car goes off, as in it does not idle with the airflow meter connected, the engine comp has been checked and given a clean bill of health.

Could the injectors be the problem? i just recently bought a used airflow meter but nothing has changed, the car just does not want to work with an airflow.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

AnotherNewb

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

1)This forum is for the 89-93 Galants.
2)The 4g63 is a 4 banger, not a V6
3)You most likely have 2 bad maf's or the incorrect maf.

GL

JCorbo25

Could also be a short in the wiring harness for the MAF, but most likely a bad MAF.

DR1665

Wow. There's a Galant VR4 in Kenya. The world is pretty awesome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

I will agree this is probably a problem with the MAF sensor or wiring. My first course of action would be to carefully inspect the condition of the wire harness and the contacts inside the connector on the MAF. If someone tried to force the wrong connection, there could be a short between pins, ya know? Otherwise, you might need to replace the MAF entirely or consider switching the car to speed density, which replaces the MAF with a MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor and an IAT (intake air temperature) sensor, which may be easier to source, although it requires changes to the ECU to work.

Good luck. Cheers from Arizona.

Lukefraizer

Quoting AnotherNewb:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

1)This forum is for the 89-93 Galants.
2)The 4g63 is a 4 banger, not a V6
3)You most likely have 2 bad maf's or the incorrect maf.

GL

I think you could have put that a little more kindly... I mean someone on here might know whats going on with it. I think it is completely ok.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned