The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My restoration and build of #1444/2000 - lots of pics and video!

the_underdog

Quoting 89Mirageman:
I watched the video a few days ago, props for putting your mother in law to work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif. Can't wait to see more progress.

Thanks for checking it out sir! Haha, my mother in law is a good sport. She's strong too, she helps me move engines and stuff all the time!

the_underdog

Quoting turbohf:
now that is AWESOME!... little curious as to why you started with a Mazdaspeed car? im guessing its setup with nicer chassis, suspension, brakes over the lesser cars?

i think i will be keeping an eye out for those updates also. i like seeing LSx motors stuffed into cars, then turboed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif oh curious also to how your wife feels about you buying a car then literally ripping it completely apart immediately lol. i know by now she knows your going to tear into it somewhat, but that is a big undertaking.

Thank you Dustin! Regarding choosing a Mazdaspeed version, I just wanted to start with the cleanest, lowest mileage car I could find with all of the options I wanted. I've been down the road of starting with a cheaper chassis and you just end up mad that you didn't invest a little more up front.

Curiously, my wife was most troubled that I removed the fenders. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Well that was before she saw the entire car promptly split in half and then broken down into a thousand pieces shortly after.

the_underdog

Quoting FlyingEagle:
Oh I see, that's the fastest way to camber it to hellaflush. Yellow car becomes pewter car. Hmmmmm ..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Haha, well this is one way to do it!

89Mirageman

Just wanted to bump Tom's thread in case any of you guys are not checking out the updates on the V8 Miata.

the_underdog

Thanks 89Mirageman, I appreciate that!

Here's a link to the entire video playlist if anyone would like to check the videos out: Project Thunderbolt-The LS3 V8 Miata | YouTube Playlist

This is a pic from the latest installment, thanks for checking this stuff out!
tboltEP11_16.jpg

Flybyevo

I haven't been around in a while.

Just spent a good part of my morning catching up on Tom's videos.

Spectacular is all I can say....

Flybyevo

the_underdog

Thank you Flybyevo, I appreciate that!

Also, quick update- over the weekend I did some basic maintenance to get the old beast ready for it's trip to the 23rd Annual Shootout in Ohio. Hope to see ya there!

IMG_3117.jpg

PolskiVR4

Looking forward to seeing your car and meeting you at the Shootout!

the_underdog

Hello All,

Long time no update from me! Been pretty busy with all sorts of things...like having a third child and stuff like that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif When time allows, I have been lurking on here and enjoy seeing everyone's build thread updates. Here's a couple things to add to the old thread here:

The VR-4 looking HUGE next to the Vespas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
IMG_5538.jpg

Here's a blast from the past picture I found from the shootout last year. I plan on driving the old beast again this time around!
vr4_shootout2015.jpg

Oh and speaking of new arrivals, here is my new (to me) 1991 Nissan Figaro that came to me from Japan!
figgy1.jpg

It's packing 1 liter of turbocharged four cylinder fury. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif
figgy2.jpg

If you'd like to learn more about these cars, here's the first installment on a video series that I'll be doing on that.
Project Figgy Fix-Up - Part 1 | YouTube.com

Thanks for reading and checking out the pics, hope to meet y'all at the Shootout this year!

-Tom

Last edited:

fuel

Awesome! I only asked about your VR-4 the other day on FB as I came across your videos again (of course, I had to watch them all again including the Figgy ones).

fuel

Also, I don't know if you're going to cover it in a future video, but I noticed you have the all aluminium transfer case on your stock transmission. Am unsure if you have the 22 or 23 spline output shaft, but I would recommend switching out to an iron head 23 spline transfer case if you can.

the_underdog

Quoting fuel:
Awesome! I only asked about your VR-4 the other day on FB as I came across your videos again (of course, I had to watch them all again including the Figgy ones).

Thank you sir, I appreciate that very much! And regarding the t-case, thank you for mentioning that, I do plan on using my old iron one that I had in the old Talon.

89Mirageman

I love all of your cars but must admit there's a soft spot for the Mitsu's. Personally I like the way you went back to your roots with the videos. Especially if it means there will be less time between updates. I know with a job and a family there isn't much free time to do things like this. Damn priorities.

the_underdog

Quote:
I love all of your cars but must admit there's a soft spot for the Mitsu's. Personally I like the way you went back to your roots with the videos. Especially if it means there will be less time between updates. I know with a job and a family there isn't much free time to do things like this. Damn priorities.

Thank you for the kind support as always my friend! Yeah, car shenanigans are definitely limited with three young kids, work, my demanding basket weaving hobby, etc. Wrenching is still the best way that I've found to clear my mind.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts