The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My restoration and build of #1444/2000 - lots of pics and video!

the_underdog

Quoting GSX_TC:
Thanks for another great video! These are so cool to watch!

Thank you Mike, I appreciate that. See ya soon!

the_underdog

Quoting transparentdsm:
car came together great and is amazing, can't wait to see dyno and 1/4 mile numbers

edit: how do you like those kumho autocross/street tires you have in the garage? i just recently put them on my car and so far im extremely impressed.

Thank you sir, I appreciate that and I can't wait either! I've tried to go to the track for the last two weeks but it's poured rain each time. Regarding those Kuhmos, they're for my Grand National and compared to regular street tires, I agree that they are very impressive, especially if they can make that wobbly 80s GM albatross of a chassis handle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

the_underdog

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
As always, great job, Tom. Remind me; do you have a WB installed?

Thank you sir! I do not currently have a wideband, but will likely install one in the future. For now I'm tuning the old fashioned way - using the old knock sensor. I know folks are critical of that these days, but it never failed me in the past.

the_underdog

Quoting Brianawd:
Great vid.
Just a fyi. I have broken in a act clutch per their instructions and also put one in and never did their break in. Took the car right to the track about 2hrs after install. Both clutches lasted me the same amount of time. After that I no longer break in a clutch. I just bolt it in and go. Never have had a issue.

Thanks Brian! Yes, I've done that in the past too and didn't see much difference either. I just wanted to give this clutch the best possible shot at a decent, non-chattery life given the type of driving that I'll typically be doing- which is very grandma-ish.

Last edited:

the_underdog

Quoting turbowop:
Car looks great rolling down the road!

Thank you Mark! Whenever I didn't feel like wrenching at 4:30am before everyone woke up or at 11pm once everyone went to bed, I would check out some pics of your car to keep me moving. So thanks for that!

the_underdog

Quoting bobdole:
Love watching your video's Tom. Thanks for taking the time to make them.

Thank you my friend, I'm glad to hear it and I appreciate the support!

the_underdog

Quoting coyotes:
Great stuff. I wish I could afford ECMlink at this time, it seems so useful, even for a mostly stock car like mine.

Thank you! Yes, it's definitely a sizable investment in the scheme of things, but definitely worth it if you plan on owning a 4G63 powered car for the long haul. That said, I've seen some screaming deals on used setups that pop up on the dsm forums classifieds.

the_underdog

Quoting Alpha Male:
Great video, can't wait to hear how that valve sounds opened up.

I've got the same set up in mind, a little less powerful, but very much stock appearing and sounding, retain all my creature comforts and still be a fun car.

Thank you Joshua and good luck with your car!

the_underdog

This car makes a pretty decent kid hauler! The back seat really is roomy and the doors open nice and wide which makes it easy for the kids to crawl in and out. This car is a much better kid transporter than my IS-F, which has a back seat like a cave. I'm sure the IS-F is 10,000% safer though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

vr4daddymode.jpg

Boostdtalon

It's amazing what space the back seat and trunk has. I went with a buddy to watch him race at VIR with his Evo X. He could not load up half the stuff he had brought with him. I ended up with everything he had in the trunk and the pop up canopy laying in the floor board of the rear seats.

the_underdog

Quote:
It's amazing what space the back seat and trunk has. I went with a buddy to watch him race at VIR with his Evo X. He could not load up half the stuff he had brought with him. I ended up with everything he had in the trunk and the pop up canopy laying in the floor board of the rear seats.

Yes, the Evo X has a ridiculously small trunk and some other issues that make it an impractical "all-around" car. I was going to pick one up when they first came out, but the tiny trunk and undersized gas tank turned me away.

GVR4kauai

I'm rockin a baby seat in the back of mine too! lol And I agree tons of room, easy getting in and out. My daughter always wants to ride in it. She actually got mad because she had to ride in the wifes Vdub, she kept screaming I want to ride In daddy's car lol. She also tells me to go faster and she will yell "make boost daddy" lol! She loves it makes her giggle like I do.

Good to see the car coming along nicely. We have done very similiar mods so far so its been cool to watch ya step by step. Keep up the good work and cool videos bro!! I'll make a video of mine soon once I'm done with all the mods and maybe have it painted. Lucky my friends paint shop is right next to my shop. So getting it done won't be a issue at all. Just not sure if I should paint it the stock BG or something else, wanna keep it stealth looking lol.

Last edited:

MellowVR4

Great update video! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

transparentdsm

yet again another victory. i really really like how you swapped out cam shafts and i think im going to have to give that a try myself. i have a set of BC's waiting to be put on and watching this video really makes me want to put them in now.

turbohf

Tom, thank you. I know lots of this stuff is common knowledge to the GVR4/DSM community, some may not be. but its nice to see/hear it actually happening on video. your car looks amazing and is an inspiration.

those ice cube trays are a great idea and in running to the dollar store right now for some!

92_talon_awd

Awesome vid Tom! I just ordered a set of the 3g lifter for mine, I wasn't driving it but once a week or so but recently sold my Rabbit so I'm driving it every day and the racket is driving me nuts haha.

IncorpoRatedX

Tom! I wish you had posted your progress of the waste gate tuning before you changed. I think a montero locking diff air pump or an ARB locking diff air pump would've provided the best of both worlds.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts