The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My Galant GSX build

faqinshiet

So I have been on here for a couple years now and have yet to post many of my car. Basically when my buddy SSGdave went on deployment in 2009-2010 he gave me his 1990 Galant GSX that had been sitting for years. My mechanical skills are a bit lacking so I'm learning a lot from this car.

Motor has been out. So i started getting parts.
This is the day we had the car towed to the dealership my buddy worked at.

After some time he moved to a different dealership so it went with him. Here is a pic right before work started on it.

Whiteline rear sway bar (bobdole) in with agx and not sure what springs.

Old engine from his vr4 with new seals and a new Evo 3 16g from FP with Evo 3 O2 housing.

Using the GSX transmission

Engine and transmission are in! Ecu from DSMchips chipped for Evo 3 16g, Evo 8 injectors, and Evo 8 mas (can't remember the others)

Ended up picking up 5 lug setup with fwd spindles and upgraded to vr4 dual piston calipers with dbs slotted rotors from JSchleim18's part out. Oh and changed my mind on suspension and got some BC coilovers (thanks bobdole!) Bearings and seals replaced.

Driver side fender was trashed, so got a replacement at junk yard

I got a set of BBS Evo wheels for cheap for my IX so the galant got the enkei wheels. And a wingless trunk waiting to go on.

Tax refund time 2013! I bought some JDM bumpers and a set of Curtis brackets!

Well my buddy is deploying again so the car has to leave the dealership and I can't keep it at my apartment so had the car moved to his apartment then to his friend's shop. Galant is not running yet. Oh that's my Evo in the background.

Last edited:

92_talon_awd

Good progress man, look forward to seeing where it goes.

G

Staff member
Looks great man.

faqinshiet

Thanks G!
Here is a lil more

During this time got a spare engine and attempted to rebuild it in a engine rebuilding class

Painted and baked the block but thinking I should have done a different color!

Polished the crank

So went with parts from Dale bogusSVO like stainless valves, NPR pistons 0.020 over, arp studs, BC springs, viton valve stem seals, new rod and main bearings can't remember the brand, and can't remember the others parts but also got tons from JNZ

So I didn't get any pics of the bottom end cause I broke a total of 3 rings. 2 in cylinder 2 and 1 in cylinder 3. I think it was shitty tools I should have bought my own. But here is a pic of I believe to be cylinder 2. So this engine is on the back burner for now till I figure out what I will do with it.

Well able to have the car towed to my parents house.

Changed grills
Threw on the Depo Amber corners. Used the 3 wire bulb socket from a Hyundai. So no super fast blinker.

Got a CMPE 3in turbo back

Got a Momo steering wheel and ken wood radio as a gift. Also installed JNZ short shifter.

Installed 89 underdash and glove box but no pics.

Started working to get the galant started and it would only crank. So took a peek at the fuel pump and here it is.

So emptied the tank and dropped it off at a radiator shop to get acid dip, cleaned out and recoated.

Got the tank back after a couple weeks.

Painted the tank with a couple cans of epoxy paint

New filler hose and cleaned the fuel hanger then put on a walbro 255 form JNZ.

Then pulled all the control arms. Had new bushings and balljoints pressed in. And painted the control arms with epoxy paint.

Last edited:

tektic

She's a lot cleaner than mine. Good luck.

Seems like a lot of stuff to buy for a car that doesn't run though.

tektic

How is that trans holding power? I've heard they have great gearing but are weak in general.

faqinshiet

The transmission feels great! But nervous about it going out on me. The transmission was supposedly rebuilt two owners ago then the timing belt snapped so the car sat from then till recently. Has a act 2600 I believe. Have to get a 90 Dsm transmission rebuilt and buy a set of front axels.

G

Staff member
That trans should be fine (with your mods) as long as you don't do any hole shots. Especially with the added weight of those tires.

faqinshiet

While the front control arms were out I pulled the steering rack that was junk and tried to put in a new steering rack I had. But could not so the car sat for a couple months while I attempted multiple time to put in the rack. So in that time my Evo had the front seats stolen and vandalized, so I pulled the BBS with new tires off the Evo and they are now on the galant.

Last edited:

fuel

Trail and error?

fuel

don't you mean trial and error?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts