The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My first welding job...

bustedsm

Was very excited to do this job seeing as it is my first welding task that I've been paid for. Overall I'm impressed at how well everything went and the customer was also very happy with the finished product. I unfortunately only got one picture for you because we were very pressed for time putting everything back together.

DSC_2544.jpg

Isn't tooooo pretty but penetration was perfect and everything lined up 100% when we were finished.

Critique everything you can!

fivestardsm

"Critique everything you can! "

Reallllllyyy....
Ok, first off, you should have brushed it up a little bit, It dosent look like you cleaned your 2 surfaces very well which leads to oxidization and impurity in the weld.
Next, whats up with the bolts without lock washers on them or atleast a locking head. Those will probably fall out in a few days!
Next, what the hells up with the red paint on the I/C pipe, its all chipped and ugly, didn't you know that when you weld on someones car that you are responsible to paint all the ugly aftermarket stuff?

BTW, just kidding, it looks like a good weld for a first timer. There are a few issues, like the cleanliness of your weld, but you will find out if it comes back to you.

It should be fine! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

bustedsm

Haha thanks, those surfaces were cleaned the best they could of been with what I had and the time it was done. Millscale > * though last night, otherwise everything went smoothly. lol

curtis

I really think the whole pretty weld thing is over rated myself.

If you have two piece of metal at 90 degrees to each other,lets say an intake plenum, and you can have two to pick from a tig weld thats perfect robotic and .030 wide or a big bubble that and has plenty of penetration sticks out a little and is kind of wavy and ugly I'll pick the big wide penetrated weld everytime as long as there's no porosity your good. If you want pretty you could always go back over the weld you did with a set of torches and make it look perfect.

bustedsm

I practice just about everyday but this is my first job that involved a 90* setup that had to be filled. On the backside of the flange there was atleast a 1/4" gap between the flange and pipe because of the angle the pipe was cut but I filled it in perfectly.

All of my other welds though are just as good with penetration but you can start to see my "dimes" show through /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

fivestardsm

Just as long as You know my first post was PURE sarcasim!! I Don't want to give anyone the wrong Idea, Just dishin out a little B.S. It looks good! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

turbowop

Quoting curtis:
I really think the whole pretty weld thing is over rated myself.

Blasphemy!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
How are you evaluating "good penetration"?

slugsgomoo

you should start a shop, since your fabbing skills already exceed MMF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

fivestardsm

It looks better than this

gvr4737

hey as long as the welds are solid and its penatrated good...

my welding skills arent the hottest but ive done 90% of everything ive needed welding and nuthing a lil wire brush and grinder can't fix to make it look a lil better.... i can say nuthing ive welded has ever broken at the welds

bustedsm

Quoting slugsgomoo:
you should start a shop, since your fabbing skills already exceed MMF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Hmmmmmm..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts