The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My AFCO radiator install.

IncorpoRatedX

I got my AFCO Scirocco style radiator in the mail from Summit today. You can find it here. I welded studs to the core support and uses universal sway bar bushings and washers for the radiator to sit on. Then i made a bracket for the driverside of the radiator so it doesnt move. All in all the install took me about 20 minutes. But my car was already apart. sway bar bushings can be had for as cheap as $5 and a 10in or 12in cooling fan can be had from autozone or the like for about $50-$60. I will run one in a pusher position. So the entire set up should run about $300 and some change.

You can also see my installed ETS FMIC and 2.5in polished piping /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

100_4380.jpg

100_4377.jpg

100_4376.jpg

100_4379.jpg

OldHairyBastard

Looks like your going to have it completed before the meet. You won't have to worry about space for fans to keep the car cool-plenty of room.

IncorpoRatedX

yeah, i had this same set up, but with a griffin radiator in my last galant.

spartan

Man will you get this thing running already! I can't wait to see some pics of it together /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

IncorpoRatedX

SORRY! gawsh.

I'm starting to get worried that i wont be at the meet on the 28th /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I told myself i would NOT spend any money/time on the galant until i sold my 2G. I thought it was sold but the guy put down a deposit and then flaked out on me, so while i got free money out of the deal.. i didnt sell the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I've been breaking my own rules lately by working on it, but i want it finished sooo bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

OldHairyBastard

^^^It doesn't look like you have much to go unless there are some suspension issues or driveline issues that I don't see. It looks like you have about a days worth of work to do at the most. What all needs to be done? Maybe someone can help you out with parts on here if needed or are you looking for a hand?

IncorpoRatedX

It's the principal. If i get the car running tonight, i'll blow off my 2g for months because i will be too busy having fun with my galant. Regardless of if i finish it tonight, tomorrow or this weekend I still won't be present for the meet. I decided last night that i wont be going. I'd love to come out and meet a lot of you but I wont be able to this time.

Last edited by a moderator:

CheapTalon

I ordered mine for the colt. Hopefully it fits in the core support as well as it did on your galant. My civic radiator seems to work perfect, but its in the way of how I want to run my IC piping.

a2vr4

Quote:
It's the principal. If i get the car running tonight, i'll blow off my 2g for months because i will be too busy having fun with my galant. Regardless of if i finish it tonight, tomorrow or this weekend I still won't be present for the meet. I decided last night that i wont be going. I'd love to come out and meet a lot of you but I wont be able to this time.

I think I'm heading to Chicago for a food show in may. Maybe you could come then and we could have another gvr4 mini-meet! Car looks great by the way!
~Brian

89coltgt

Quote:
I ordered mine for the colt. Hopefully it fits in the core support as well as it did on your galant. My civic radiator seems to work perfect, but its in the way of how I want to run my IC piping.

When you get it, lmk if you had to trim anything to fit it in there. I am planning to put one on my colt as well.

CheapTalon

I finished up my AFCO install this weekend on my Colt. I used some nuts and bolts that I bought from the hardware store, along with some rubber grommets for bushings. I feel that it turned out really well. Here are some pics:

P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010012.jpg

P1010014.jpg

IncorpoRatedX

Looks great!!

onesickcrx

I am intrested in doing this the afco looks like a nice core. Any reason you can't keep the AC core too?

slugsgomoo

The afco resides in the space previously occupied by the a/c condenser. there *might* be enough room to shove the condenser further forward between the radiator and the front mount, but who knows. The real upside of getting the radiator moved forward is that we can reclaim some of the space, since the motor sits so much closer to the radiator in the gvr4 than it does in a 1g.

mountaineerjeff

I know some cars use one radiator to cool the engine and transmission, would it be possible to use somethine like that for the coolant and ac? dont know, but it seemed like it could keep all the bells and whistles, but save space too

onesickcrx

Well I am thinking about moving the ac core up. Even if I need to get a smaller core I still need my ac. I was just curious if anyone kept the AC when doing this rad?

004tsi

Quoting mountaineerjeff:
I know some cars use one radiator to cool the engine and transmission, would it be possible to use somethine like that for the coolant and ac? dont know, but it seemed like it could keep all the bells and whistles, but save space too

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif the short answer is no /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

onesickcrx

I guess ac and this rad was a no go for every one that installed it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

bustedsm

Thanks for the front picture with the bumper dismounted. I wanted to see how much room I had inbetween that and a front mount to place my oil cooler.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts