The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Much Market for JDM Galants?

IanM

Good afternoon,

I'm trying to see if there is much market in importing (any year) but specifically'89 Galants from Japan.

They would have low kilometers (Around 60,000 Miles)
Completely rust-free; and
Clean!

They would not have leather, and most would not have sunroofs, but all of course would be AWD, AWS, Turbocharged, and Right hand drive.

They would run about $6,000- Landed with taxes.

I am not all that familiar with what rules and regulations the United States has on importing vehicles-

What do you think?

4oHZ1bwcqTluKPp0dsfJlS4l0LK4hrmVOEt1nA588sGcQBBPi3crKmnKw320.jpg

4oHZ1bwcqTluKPp0dsfJlS4l0LK4hrmVOEt1nA588sGcQCwxLJsxmKGvw320.jpg

Ian

IncorpoRatedX

if you can do it legally for that price, they'll sell.

mountaineerjeff

Id pay that for a RHD JDM RS with 60k miles. honestly if everything was 100% I personally wouldnt even care about it being legal. The resale would be terrible, but I wouldnt care as I wouldnt plan on selling it.

mountaineerjeff

what if you had it shipped to canada then just drove it here?

boostedinaz

^^^^
You still have to register and insure it here.

Just like CF hoods every so often this topic comes up and goes nowhere.

Last edited:

BrandonEchols

We're getting close to the 25 year mark...then you can get all the RHD JDM goodness your heart desires...

mountaineerjeff

so 25+ is safe no matter what? I havent looked into it much. oh and the insurance thing doesnt effect me.

donkeylips

Man if the 25 year things is true, now might be the time to buy! That would be awesome!

BrandonEchols

I'm 99% sure that at 25 years it's considered a classic, and can be imported, registered, etc. without any EPA/DOT/DMV bullshit to get in your way.

IanM

Neat eh?

Totally. The Importer I was talking with said around 6,000CDN landed in British Columbia. (West Coast)

I don't see the point of me having any financial gain, so I will open it up to the Forum to pursue whatever they would like.

www.jdmconnection.ca The man's name is William, name it, and he can get it. Even JDM Bumpers ****You have to buy the whole car****

sh*t I was thinking about it. I'm not sure what insurance on the RHD is. I know on the Skyline GTRs we have kicking around here, its F'ing insane.

Here's the exact link he sent me, these RSs are up on the regular.

click

The8er

If you are really that interested I can ask around. I work directly with Import shippers, Customs brokers and US Customs on an almost daily basis. I can tell you now this will be very expensive to do and there is a lot involved. I have seen Motorcyles imported that had to be brought into US spec. This includes mainy things, particular issues is secureing gauge clusters that read US standard, along with emmissions, it all has to be handled by a government approved shop. As far as the 25 yr thing goes I will ask but if it's BS and you have to go through all the rederic I can tell you it WILL be an expensive, lengthy process and after all the time and money spent if one thing is wrong it will be crushed and sent to a scrap yard.

Brianawd

cars made up to 1975 are classics. 25year thing just means it no longer has to pass DEQ

Last edited:

boostedinaz

Quoting The8er:
If you are really that interested I can ask around. I work directly with Import shippers, Customs brokers and US Customs on an almost daily basis. I can tell you now this will be very expensive to do and there is a lot involved. I have seen Motorcyles imported that had to be brought into US spec. This includes mainy things, particular issues is secureing gauge clusters that read US standard, along with emmissions, it all has to be handled by a government approved shop. As far as the 25 yr thing goes I will ask but if it's BS and you have to go through all the rederic I can tell you it WILL be an expensive, lengthy process and after all the time and money spent if one thing is wrong it will be crushed and sent to a scrap yard.

So wait it's not just as easy as buying one and driving away? Say it ain't so.

raptorWagon

Read this
NHTSA.gov
Quote:
If the vehicle is less than 25 years old and was not originally manufactured to comply with all applicable FMVSS, and/or was not so certified by its original manufacturer, it cannot be lawfully imported into the U.S. on a permanent basis unless NHTSA determines it eligible for importation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brianawd

Quote:
Read this
NHTSA.gov

Learn somthing new every day.

transparentdsm

Quoting mountaineerjeff:
Id pay that for a RHD JDM RS with 60k miles. honestly if everything was 100% I personally wouldnt even care about it being legal. The resale would be terrible, but I wouldnt care as I wouldnt plan on selling it.

i agree i would buy one with you!!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts