The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

motor swap ?

Well i got 1036 and the ecu side harness was pretty hacked up. my question is can i pull the motor out of my other gvr4 with the harness still attached to the motor/trans like all the sensors still hooked up just unhook any grounds and anything attached to the shell? Or is that just a terrible idea

My thought was less chance of destroying wires the pain in the butt connectors etc since i have to swap it anyhow.

(My unknown number shell is rusted out underneith reason why im swapping out)

tektic

your best bet is to clean the connectors of grimy build up before carefully taking them off. It should be fine. The brittle parts are mostly the tape and the plastic wrap. I only found crunchy wires around my thermostat housing. If you can't figure out how to take the fuel injector clips off without breaking them you may want to pull the whole rail and swap that. Honestly if it were me id pull my cabin fan out and unwrap some tape and fix the wiring that's in there. If you plan to swap the whole thing your going to have to take it out any way. With it gone there should be plenty of room to fix what ever you think is wrong with it.

rooms not a issue,I already pulled the old harness out its laying in my garage, no problems inside cabin side just in the bay they just cut alot of the wires or broke them then,spliced a bunch of others,have multiple wires looks like they may of attempted to extend some wires with multi colored wires and gave up, just more of a pain to fix the old harness when i got a good harness in the other car.

i just figured it might be easier to pull the ecu, fan, unbolt it and pull it into the bay, hook it onto the top of the valve cover, disconnect all the odds and ends pull the motor/trans together, bolt her back up and fish it back through

tektic

"the ecu side harness was pretty hacked up"
I figured that meant the ecu side of the fire wall.

So you have it out. Put the other one in. I don't understand the question.
You want to do an engine swap because your wiring is bad?

It's possible to pull the engine and the harness sure. You need to unplug the ecu, pull wires through the fire wall, disconnect the fuse box, battery, and everything on the fire wall.

Last edited:

sorry, i typed that from my phone earlier which kinda sucks for forums. i'll clarify

i'm going to be pulling the engine/trans out of my first gvr4 to put into 1036 because my other GVR4 has a very rough interior and severly rusted under body, but runs great. I picked up 1036 as a shell its in better shape.

the problem with 1036 the engine harness (passenger side in the engine bay that leads down to the ecu) was in rough condition in the bay. (damaged wires) so i removed that harness today. if it was just a simple quick solder i would of just fixed it up without removing it.

my question is if I could pull the motor out without disconnecting that harness from the engine/sensors, leaving everything hooked up that hooks up to that side of the harness(obviously disconnect all the grounds ecu etc) and install everything the way it came into 1036. or if that was a bad idea leaving the harness attached when removing the engine?

I was just thinking it might be easier to leave everything hooked up then re route the harrness through the firewall. (rambling make any more sense?)

AnotherNewb

You're going to make your swap far more difficult trying to swap it all over at once. In the end, its going to take you longer than if you install the harness first, then the engine.

Source: I am an expert at making things more difficult than necessary.

Makes sense, ive pulled alot of motors just haven't had to replace the harness before. Just want to make as easy as possible.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts