The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

motor pull

hi im somwhat new to 4g63s, and we are working on getting the motor out now, but im not 100 percent sure on what the best way to do it is, should i pull it ou the top, or slide underneath, and do i have to pull the transfercase to take it out? and btw, random question, but a friend of mine owned a vr4 and he had galantvr4.org stickers, is there someone on here that sells them?

GSX_TC

most people take the motor out from the top man. and heres an old link on where to get the decals click

coolclean577

hey man the way i have done it was frist remove your battery and then start unplugin your wires and remcve your axles and remove tranfer case (make sure you dont let the driveshaft hit the floor) You can do 2 way you can pull the tran with the motor or with out.. I always remove the tran frist then I pull it form the top of the car. If your fast you can have it done in 1hr and half maxs. or you can do it form the bottom but you got to jack up the
car more to pull form the bottom.

broxma

Step 1 is always. Remove hood. And get a leveler and pull the motor and trans out together. You can put it back in the same way. I did it flying solo on my car with a fresh paint job on the engine bay and didn't make a single scratch.

/brox

AuSpecVr4

Yes, remove bonnet for 1. remove the transfer case and axles, followed by all cables and lines connected to the engine and gearbox. if using a engine crane you want to be able to lift the engine and box out on an angle in a way that the box falls lower and the motor tilts up. so use a small chain around the top of the motor near the cam gears and connect a longer one to the bracket on the inlet manifold if it's still there of course, should tilt enough to miss everything, just watch the power steering and ac compressor and firewall of course. when putting the motor back in, i would suggest taking of the harmonic balancer first for more clearance. thats the way i've always done it.

conquesttsi

I'll put in another vote for remove hood, axles, transfer case, transmission. Do a bit of extra work, make the overall job easier on yourself.

boostedinaz

If you have A/C you do NOT need to disconnect the lines from the compressor. Just unbolt the compressor from the block and tie it to the power steering rack.

As mentioned you can pull the tranny first then pull the motor but I have always pulled them together. You can put them back in the same way.

So you can pull the motor and trans together out the top? will i have tp pull axels out of trans or out of hub?

boostedinaz

Yes. Pull the axles, down pipe, tcase, and of course all the lines, wires, etc.. Once you have done that you can pull the motor and the trans as a unit. I woudl suggest taking the pulleys off the front of the motor to give you a little more room.

thanks for your help guys for your help, we now have the motor out and the trans out, and now am selling them haha

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned