The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

More engine talk!

mcbride89

Okay so 125's motor is SHOT but I bought a "new" one today. Will be at the shop tomorrow but I just wanted some insight on these "jdm motors" I used te search and it seems that this has the yellow top injectors and 16g but that's all I could find. They claim it was pulled from an evo 1 or galant but here's pics. I think the intake manifold as I read was same as the cyclone?

8E81D878-D2B7-4C2B-88E4-B5968FBE033E-1395-000000F53C36BC20.jpg

Just curious as to what ill be getting.

I'm going to salvage all my bolt ons of course off 125 along with the head if its in usable condition for a built motor down the road

I know the pictures isn't the best quality but any help to as I bought in differences would be a nice help.

Thanks

Ant

kooter

My gvr4 had a jdm swap done before I bought it. Seems yellow top injectors are 510's mine had a big 16g.
Everything else I believe is the same.

James

How much do one of these JDM motors run these days?

pot

Staff member
Typically between $1,200 - $1,700 to your door or freight terminal. The price also depends on what accoutrements are included such as the ECU, Engine Management harness, Transmission, transfercase, etc.

Mcbride89 what you were told is fairly accurate. Your engine more than likely arrived from either a galant vr4 rs or Evo 1 - 3. Those yellow top injectors are 510cc and incompatible with USDM ECU. Either you'll need to tune to compensate for them or discard them as they aren't much of an upgrade. Japan has extremely stringent vehicular inspection requirements, as a result typically the JDM engines have between 40,000 - to 60,000 on them. --IMHO that makes for an already broken in engine. Ideally, you want to purchase a JDM that was coupled with an automatic transmission as the belief goes they aren't as beaten on.

If you have the Cyclone intake manifold its a plus if you also have the solenoid that goes with it. This manifold is used to exert the low end torque from 2800 - 5100 RPM. Otherwise, place it in the FS column and recoup your initial investment as anyone is bound to promptly scoop it up.

mcbride89

This was 1500 and with tax and delivery came to 1785... :sigh:

Thank you for the corrections /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I've been reading for a little bit now. Seems like this is a evo 1-2 motor or gvr4. I did read on Japan's strict emission laws as these engines just getting parted. I do believe this is the same as the cyclone manifold. I have 550 injectors in the blown block that will go in along with my 18g. I plan on selling some of these items to recoup on the price and scrap the old block.

Ill probably get rid of this intake and save the money for link.

Ah you guys are great. Ill have pictures of everything done in the next 2 days. Can't wait to have 125 back :/

mcbride89

Or will trade stuff for a 4 bolt rear or 5 lug swap parts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

fuel

It's from a Galant VR-4 Evolution, it could have been from an Evolution RS but wont be from an early pre-Evolution RS. Don't confuse RS with Evolution because the RS is the exact same engine spec as the regular non-RS Galant VR-4 for that same model year. That is the 'cyclone' style manifold as per fitted to mid-1990 onwards VR-4 engines - other than the ECI MULTI vs CYCLONE badge it is identical. Automatic JDM VR-4s also had TD04-13G turbos with 450cc injectors.

To get it running you could just swap on the USDM inlet manifold and possibly CAS too and tune for 510cc injectors or even run the JDM manifold with a mechanical actuator or even an RPM switched electric actuator.

*edit* I see it comes with a wiring loom. Find a MD165808 ECU and run that with the cyclone manifold and 510cc injectors.

Last edited:

fuel

If anyone is confused with the different types of JDM VR-4s available and each of their specs check out this link - click

mcbride89

Fuel, the harness and trans aren't included.

But what's wrong with the CAS on it as is?

I was planning on just throwing the regular intake manifold on with a new gasket and just going back to my regular bolt ons.

fuel

the CAS changed its plugs somewhere around 1989/1990 and I wasn't sure if the USDM cars ran with the earlier style or later style which the Evolution engine used. Evolution engines have a long four pin connector much like a TPS attached direct to the CAS while the earlier models had four wires about a foot long coming out of the CAS connecting to a square plug close to the firewall.

Last edited:

desant78

Hey mang hope it all goes well! If you need something.shot out to your local nj vr4 homies, we are hidden, but around.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts