The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

More clutch adjustment...

Gtpdz

Shifting has always been a little bit notchy, so wedge myself under the dash yesterday readjust the clutch pedal, thread out the rod a bit more and also adjust the stop switch according to vfaq, make sure slave still can be pushed by hand.

Test drove for a while and it shift like butter... However after an hour drive it feels notchy again, drove it again after a nights cool down still the same. Anyone have some similar experience? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

transparentdsm

how old is the fluid in the transmission? also knowing what clutch and how long ago that was installed will also be a giant help. i had a vehicle where the fingers on the PP bent in a little bit due to age causing a notchy engagement in 1st gear but not the other gears.

if it is an ACT i have heard some stories of there PP failing and the fingers physically braking off.

Gtpdz

Fluid is all new, Diaqueen manual fluid in the trans, clutch is ACT2100 according to previous owner. I believe it has been installed 5-6 years ago. It always disengage very close to the floor. It's notchy mostly noticeable in 1st and 2nd. Also a bit hard to get into reverse when park.

Clutch master is new, however I do noticed it's a bit wet around the slave. Will put in a new one and changing the rubber line to see how it helps first.

Last edited:

Gtpdz

Finally warm enough today to put in a new OEM slave and braided line, now shift like it should be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Should have done that a while ago /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Maybe for you. I'm still hibernating today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gtpdz

Yes it did... all gears shift much smoother now, actually the clutch pedal feels a bit lighter than before, and by looking at the old vs new slave... the new one have more travel than the old one, previous owner must be cheap on this part and putting a non OEM one in. And pedal assembly looks to be in good shape as well.

Gtpdz

Alright, new discovery about clutch system...

Since everything in hydraulic is new, and I use a one way check valve style bleeder for the bleeding so. I thought it should be good.

However every time after I bled the system, after a day of driving or so, the pedal feels stiff again and clutch disengagement went bad again.

So there must be some where in the system that sucks in air right? Although there's no fluid leak it can still suck in air I guess?

So today when I'm trying to bleed it again, I tried push the slave cylinder with the bleeder check valve open. To my surprise each time I push in the slave it will squirt out air bubbles, this leads me to think if the slave seal is allowing air to come in... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned