The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

money in da bank

CarRacer

So you solicited advice from the members here, received it, rejected it, and went ahead and bought what you wanted?

Not to be a dick, but why ask for more advice on what parts to buy? It doesn't seem like you want to hear what most are saying, so just use the search button on your own to help make your own decisions. Use + in front of the words you have questions about, as most things have been covered here at one time or another. Example, for the GM MAF search "+GM +maf" in the newbie, general, and technical sections. Do that on what you have questions about and you'll have plenty to read about.

mountaineerjeff

I didnt reject any advice. I never ignore anyone who is attempting to be helpful
I did go back and ask for more clarity.
dial advice was taken, (sway bars) then asked about specifics.
your advice was also taken then asked about specifics
the only thing I have purchased was on the already have list
which is just my turbo to exhaust
which I never asked about.

the GM mas info is mostly old, because people cover the subject, then others just say to search. Things change, like for instance now I dont need to run a MAFT because of V3, at the same time, people have found that some 3g mas flow just as well. new things come out and people start to test older things.

So what if I did 750cc with 255pump and 3gmas
then ran a chip until I really need V3?
If I use a chip will I need to recirculate or can they compensate for venting? I know that ecm link does.

belize1334

With a 3g maf you'll need to recirculate. This has no detriment in terms of power but doesn't make piping slightly more complicated. Personally, I prefer to recirculate since it muffles the sound of the BOV.

Fuel pump rewiring will provide a higher voltage at the pump. If you're on the edge of what the pump can provide then it'll give you another ~25%. Your 750cc injectors flow 180lph at 100% idc. A Walbro 255 should outflow them until you get to high boost so you can do it for piece of mind but I wouldn't worry about it too much right off the bat. Just make sure that you have a wideband. If you struggle to get the AFR you want, even after fiddling with your maps, then rewire and see if that helps.

fivestardsm

Quoting: belize1334

Quote:

"With a 3g maf you'll need to recirculate. This has no detriment in terms of power but doesn't make piping slightly more complicated. Personally, I prefer to recirculate since it muffles the sound of the BOV."

Just a bit of info I learned..
I was browsing through Import tuners mag the other day and came across the fact or fiction article about recirc. They actually Dyno tested the recirc V.S. venting to the atmosphere on a new ralliart lancer and it was a power gain to keep it recirc. I've heard people argue this for many years, but I never found any proof. Well now I know!

Last edited:

mountaineerjeff

I like the obnoxious sound of a vented bov.
I heard there are some idle,drivabilty,tuning issues with the GM.
I know it has to be managable, because so many people do it.
the gm will let me vent, plus the inexpensive price helps counter the cost of ecmlink.
ecm will let me vent, plus use pipes that are more readily available
and I found that the ecm will soon support speed density.
I think i could install the ets on the hot side, and keep the cool side stock until I find whats best

chip pro cons
easy no venting
cheap have to run stock styled cool pipe

ecm pro con
complete tuning no idea how to use it
already sourced pipes and mas expensive

Ian M

Quote:
This is the reason why we are bein dragged into the DSM catagory, which is being dragged into the ricer scene. I remember when DSM was ranks above any other import, and vr4s have been one up on dsm.

Just to let you know,It's common perception that basing your whole setup on being able to vent your aftermarket BOV drags you into the ricer scene. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

mountaineerjeff

it is what it is. its not like im using cheap parts, or think that it will make me go faster. i know that bovs are about preference and i like a vented bov. right now i have a recirculation tube, but it is only about 3" long, with the location of the flange on the ets kit I would have to run a 2 foot hose, which gives clutter.
Right now im happy with the sound of the stock throught the short tube, but I know it wont hold once I crank up boost. so I have to go after market.

turbowop

Quoting Ian M:

Just to let you know,It's common perception that basing your whole setup on being able to vent your aftermarket BOV drags you into the ricer scene. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowrofl.gif

Exactly what I was thinking. I'm glad somebody else mentioned it.

mountaineerjeff

would this take care of that problem?
fix?

belize1334

Why would you spend >$100 to fix a hacked setup? Just do it right, one way or the other. If you want to vent then go DSMLink or MAFT Pro. If you can live with the recirc then get a 2g or 3g MAF and run a keydiver chip (still my recommendation).

icurunnin

I have never had a issue venting my bov on my cars. That was using the HKS SSQ and a Greddy type S though. I tried to vent the stock 1g bov on the wifes 89 Colt GT and it didnt like it at all.

Lonewolf64

Stop trying to vent to the atmosphere like a ricer. If you want your 1g BOV not to leak past ~15psi then get the 1g BOV leak stop mod from Dejon Tool. click

Also, when you get a proper metal intake with a 2g/3g MAS, even when you recirculate it is plenty loud.

Have fun, mod smart.

mountaineerjeff

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gifthats really funny

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts