The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Molded carpet

JNR

Unless something's changed, nobody makes a new carpet for these, so your only choices are a junkyard or if somebody is selling one. You can check with ACC though to verify whether they can or do make one...they have them for just about every other car out there, but for some reason not ours.

James

I know people prefer the molded carpets, but I had great luck with the rolls of carpet they sell/sold at Walmart for cars. I pulled out the whole interior, I outlined the old carpet in sections and cut the new carpet, laid down some insulation, sprayed some carpet glue stuff and worked the carpet in very slowly.

Took me some time but it looked really good when it was done.

JNR

A good tip when doing carpet (and esp. molded) is to let it sit in the sun for awhile before you install it, so that it becomes more pliable and easier to work, stretch and so on.

OP - do you have holes in your carpet? If not, I'd suggest steam cleaning it (i.e. carpet cleaner you rent if you don't have one); although taking it out is best, you can do it in the car, but just be sure to let it air out good, so you don't get mildew, etc. and especially if it seeps to the underlayment.

snohacking

I had good luck with dyeing the carpet. I dyed it black and it looks brand new now.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Got some carpet from ACC carpets back in 2010.
I bought it from a Colt site member who wanted to sell it off.
This was shipped out from the ACC company in 2010, so odds are that you can still get it.

Perfect fit, you cut the holes for seats, etc, and yes it is molded.

click

You can buy more and in the same color, to do up the rear section if your trunk is looking to be in poor shape, but it won't be like trunk liner material.

I got the regular backing, so extra foam option, just carpet with standard backside which is pretty thin.

Food for thought, unless you want to dye it.

I had water issues around the windshield and lived in a house that was mouldy (rental at the time), so wasn't going to keep it.

NINJA EDIT - Appears that searching at ACC comes up with nothing for a 91-92 Galant, nothing available. Sorry dude. The Colt still shows in black only, with a mass backing option in case you feel like switching cars. Heck they can't be too far off from one another, but nothing worse than trying to stretch a carpet to fill out at the sills. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

SmoothCustomer

Quoting transparentdsm:
here you go.

click

Woah $170? If that's legit I will probably be ordering it. It's hard to choose the proper color though. 7701 probably?

Barnes

I was under the impression that the 2wd Galant floor pan is different than the GVR-4 floor pan, thus making the carpets incompatible. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

JNR

Probably won't work then...even on my chevelle, which has similar humps on the transmission between all, there are different carpets for autos and 4-speeds, with the latter having more area to cover and hence more carpet...they are relatively close, but even so the auto will not work on the manual and the manual would be too big. The nice thing abotu those is you can put a center console to make this up (what I'll do as I am putting in a custom hump for the T-56) by cutting that area out, but if it's in the rear with the hump, you won't be able to stretch it enough and would need to be creative (as in if you're good you could splice in your own section there and nobody would know).

FlyingEagle

Staff member
IF you had to, you could cut the carpet down the middle where the larger rests, assuming a FWD carpet going onto the AWD floor pan, and get someone to proper seam seal an extra section of carpet to make up the difference. You'd like never know it was sectioned in, just like household carpeting but with more pliability/moldability. Just a thought, because then you do have a completely new carpet and underlay.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts