The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Modifying a 1990 coil pack

GVR-4

Anybody done this? I need the wiring diagrams of the two (1990 and 1991 on) to modify the 1990 coil pack to use on a Galant VR-4. I thought I could save some time by posting here while I search for this info.

TIA

just swap your 3 wire plug and all wiring from your gvr4 coil pack and put them on your new coil pack. Unscrew the 90 wiring and replace with the gvr4 wiring in the exact same places. Ignore the tach stuff on the 90 wiring.

GVR-4

I don't have the Galant (1g) coil pack, just the triangular plug from the harness. I am getting rid of a COP setup and going back to the stock coil pack. I have two 1990 coil packs laying around and figure I can use one of them, if I do my homework and figure out how.

Here are the schematics of both the 1990 and the 1991+ coilpack. As you can see, both coils need to get +12 volt power from that heavy black/white striped wire. If the 1990 coilpack you have has that "Tach Driver" module attached (labeled "OR circuit" on the schematic), just remove it. The GVR-4 transistor has its own tach output, so you don't need that #3 pin tach output. Just connect the wires as shown in the diagram with the B-14 plug layout. If it misfires, you have the 2 coil inputs backwards.
1990 coilpack:
img.php

1991+ coilpack:

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned