The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Miss at idle

MX4

Hi all,
I have a miss on number 4 cylinder at idle. So far I have replaced the spark plugs (NGK BPR7ES @ 28thou) and the coil pack. Next move will be the spark plug leads. But in the meantime I wanted to check if anyone had any other ideas on what could cause this.

I would of thought that, if a cylinder lost spark, it would also lose spark on the other cylinder from the same coil (so 1 & 4). But the car is only missing on cylinder number 4 which is confusing.

Any advice appreciated.

Ryan

misterfixit

Check the plug wires for suppleness.

There are resistance specs they should be inside. It would have been an old post. I had a similar issue a while back which was cured by the plug wire. If you lay the leads directly over the motor you should be able to swap it with one of the others and the miss should move with the lead.

hope this helps,

Rich

fuel

Have you done a compression test to make sure cylinder #4 is indeed healthy?

prove_it

Does the Fuel Injector click?

GSTwithPSI

Quoting misterfixit:
Check the plug wires for suppleness. Swap it with one of the others and the miss should move with the lead.

Rich

^This. It will rule out the plug wire before you go out buying new ones for nothing.

MX4

Borrowed a set of leads and away she goes. Interestingly I tested the resistance of the faulty lead and the resistance came up fine, however swapping the leads for new ones and the miss is gone. Thanks for all your help team!!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts