The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Member Cars section - do you want one?

Ludachris

Administrator
Those who have spent time on DSMtuners have seen the Vehicle Profiles section... it's a collection of over 15k profiles for DSMs (and a few other cars) submitted by members, each profile having an attached build thread that the owners update. There's even a GVR-4 category there with over 200 submissions:

My question is, would you guys want something like that here? It will require a decent sized investment in time and effort to get it up and running. But if you guys think you would really use it here, I'd consider working on it. I just wouldn't want to put all the work in to see it not get used.

Let me know.

vtecds1

Would be nice.

mpsull

Those who have spent time on DSMtuners have seen the Vehicle Profiles section... it's a collection of over 15k profiles for DSMs (and a few other cars) submitted by members, each profile having an attached build thread that the owners update. There's even a GVR-4 category there with over 200 submissions:

My question is, would you guys want something like that here? It will require a decent sized investment in time and effort to get it up and running. But if you guys think you would really use it here, I'd consider working on it. I just wouldn't want to put all the work in to see it not get used.

Let me know.
Great idea!

misterfixit

Hi, I went to look for the members showcase, but i hit upon a functionality issue with the search. Is there a how to for it? so we can trawl the hugely useful back catalog of stuff. I used to post lots of archive stuff and kinda use the board as a public library to file stuff. I need some help to find my way around again please! I need to be able to search a specific forum or forums with specific authors/keywords.

Rich

Ludachris

Administrator
Hi, I went to look for the members showcase, but i hit upon a functionality issue with the search. Is there a how to for it? so we can trawl the hugely useful back catalog of stuff. I used to post lots of archive stuff and kinda use the board as a public library to file stuff. I need some help to find my way around again please! I need to be able to search a specific forum or forums with specific authors/keywords.

Rich
There are a couple ways to search that forum. The first way is to use the Search bar in the main navigation, and select "This forum" from the pulldown menu where it says "Everywhere":

1636997718234.png

That will search only the forum/subforum you're currently viewing.

If you want to search a specific forum to see posts by a certain member in that forum, you can do so by clicking the Advanced Search button in that same search menu. You'll be taken to this page:

1636997883091.png

Be sure to click on the Search Threads tab at the top (green arrow). Enter your keywords, enter the username of the member whose posts you want to see, and choose the forum you want to search. Test different criteria as needed. There's an option to Display Results as Threads, which will organize the results differently. Play around with that to see how it works.

misterfixit

Awesome I will. Cheers!

Rich

yubh8tn

I also like this idea. I think it will encourage more people to post about their car as it will feel better to make a dedicated car build thread than just replying to the same thread over and over in the general section or something like that.

I'm sure you're already working on it, but another thing I'd like to see again is the little witty tag lines people got to customize under their name after a certain amount of posts. Like where it says "well known member" under my name or "staff member" under iceman's you could customize it to say something stupid. I don't know how many posts you needed for that though. Oh also signatures, gotta make sure everyone knows how many cars i own every time they see a post by me.

turboflanagan

I also like this idea. I think it will encourage more people to post about their car as it will feel better to make a dedicated car build thread than just replying to the same thread over and over in the general section or something like that.

I'm sure you're already working on it, but another thing I'd like to see again is the little witty tag lines people got to customize under their name after a certain amount of posts. Like where it says "well known member" under my name or "staff member" under iceman's you could customize it to say something stupid. I don't know how many posts you needed for that though. Oh also signatures, gotta make sure everyone knows how many cars i own every time they see a post by me.
You are probably aware but those witty tag lines were only editable by mods. They were usually funny to some degree, but hilarious when you knew the backstory.

I think another question to evaluate regarding the creation of a Vehicle Profile section would be: Would it be worth building here or just link to DSMtuners and use the function there? It might create some "cross-pollination" between gvr4.org and DSMtuners.

Ludachris

Administrator
You are probably aware but those witty tag lines were only editable by mods. They were usually funny to some degree, but hilarious when you knew the backstory.

I think another question to evaluate regarding the creation of a Vehicle Profile section would be: Would it be worth building here or just link to DSMtuners and use the function there? It might create some "cross-pollination" between gvr4.org and DSMtuners.
It might, but I would bet there are some members here who like the purity of this forum, and might not care for the cross pollination too much. And I can respect that. Some people have build threads here and not over there. I don't want to force them to go over there and use that site if they don't want to. Besides, having the profiles here means I can implement the signature feature where the profile gets auto listed in your signature, just like it does over on DSMtuners. I just hope the members will find it to be valuable and that we have enough members here participating to make it worth all the effort.

There is obviously some duplication of effort/content between these two sites, but honestly, I don't care so much about that so long as more enthusiasts embrace one forum or the other - that's all that matters. The better job I (we) do at making these forums inviting, useful, and engaging, the more chances we have of keeping people participating and contributing to an archivable resource that others can benefit from for years to come in the GVR-4 world. And that's really the goal with all of this. If DSMtuners isn't their flavor, then maybe GVR4.org will be. I just can't stand seeing more and more content getting tossed into the Fecesbook abyss, buried and lost forever due to their horrendous structure. Whatever we can do to stymie the massive data loss from that is a big win in my book. We obviously can't stop it, but we can at least try and slow it.

turboflanagan

Speaking of data loss...
Are all the pictures from the old board lost? I have been looking for some for coils on Cyclone intakes and they won't load as if they were not imported. Any way to bring those in?

Ludachris

Administrator
Speaking of data loss...
Are all the pictures from the old board lost? I have been looking for some for coils on Cyclone intakes and they won't load as if they were not imported. Any way to bring those in?
Point me to the thread so I can take a look. All the photos from the old system should be there from what I can tell, though there might be some that didn’t.

turboflanagan

could it be that you used photobucket to post them? Shortly after that company started charging for their service I noticed eveyones pictures were showing up missing or broken on here.

TBH I dont even now what happen to my photo bucket account. I'm thinking it's either gone or being held hostige until I pay to their subscription fee to access it.

Answer to the OP. I would be in favor of the vehical profile addiction.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts