The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Mediocre s16g, so now what??

mk2davis

I have a S16g that doesn't want to make more than 15psi though a EBC. This is a cheap ebay turbo that's probably 10-15 year old that I suspect has a cracked housing, and I'm mildly surprised it has done as well as it has.

Before I replace, is there a way to confirm that the turbo is my issue? I've read that 19-20psi is expected, and I don't want to buy parts assuming I know what the issue is.

My second question is since I probably have to get a turbo, which one? My goals would be to work with the current mods in sig, and also have enough range to make 400 at the wheels. From what I've read, the E316g start to fade at around 375 crank, and that's just shy of where I want to be. So next step up is FP Green? Bastard 20G? Would these work at my current sedate mods?

Did I mention this car also is my DD, and I live in CA so stock appearance is a must?

If you start to get real technical with turbo talk, you are going to find out my knowledge of the subject is limited. Just FYI. And I have done a fair amount of reading on the subject, but sometimes it's hard to know what is BS, what is real, and what is relevant TODAY. Something that was hawt sheet in '09 may not be the best way to go now.

mk2davis

Some progress. I tested the wastegate actuator with a Mityvac, and I got movement around 11psi. I increased the preload, but it didn't seem to make a difference per the Mityvac. Then today I was driving around and decided to try and turn the EBC all the way down. Boost was limited to about 7psi. Curious...

If I understand things right, if this means I have a 7psi actuator, then the limit of boost around 14-16psi makes a ton of sense. I've read 2x the rating is about the max. So I'm now looking for a 10-12psi actuator that should be good for 20-24 pounds max.

I'm going to use the Mityvac to test the boost gauge. I'm surprised they give me different figures, although the boost gauge reads 0 when it's appropriate.

Anyone have a good source for actuators? They are a lot more expensive than I remember them being.

mk2davis

Actuator is ordered. Stock looking turbo is a must for smog, and frankly I just dont want the fight. I was looking at that turbo, but I didn't know if there were better options. I'll report my progress with the new actuator and see if that is my cause for lack of boost.

ggsxkid

Actuator is ordered. Stock looking turbo is a must for smog, and frankly I just dont want the fight. I was looking at that turbo, but I didn't know if there were better options. I'll report my progress with the new actuator and see if that is my cause for lack of boost.
Other than the 68hta and the Evo III for the power numbers your looking for and stock appearance that's about it. That or their is a guy named Justin whitsell on the tuners pages that rebuilds turbos. He does hybrid turbo stuff as well and can build you a bastard 20g.

mk2davis

The bastard 20G was another option that I have read about and considered. I don't think the e316g is going to get me where I want to go ultimately, but if it worked right it would do for now. I'll contact Justin and see what he says.

Turbo99

You will need a significant amount of supporting modifications to approach the 400whp mark with any of the turbos discussed in this thread. I am a big fan of the evo 16g and with a proper setup you can easily send one of these cars into the 11's on pump gas, but your fuel system is not large enough to support what that turbo is capable of flowing, and you will need an efficient intercooler as the charge air gets pretty warm when you're sending one of these smaller snails to its upper limits.

mk2davis

I do realize that it'll take more than just the turbo. But I don't have questions about those parts right now. I think my 190 Wally will produce enough gas, but it'll be at the limit. Probably bigger injectors too. IC is being shipped.

For future reference, time slips mean nothing to me.

mk2davis

IC in hand. New actuator in car. SAME BOOST levels. Frustrating, right? Im 80% convinced its the turbo, but since 1700 buck is a lot of 'em, I have a couple of other things to test.

Greddy Profec was tested and that seems to be good.

New actuator tested with an advertised 15# spring. Bench testing shows movement at 11-12 pounds. Boost gauge shows a max of 15#'s while driving, and a low of about 7 pounds. Same as my old act.

I'm going to do another boost leak test, but I think I'm leaking like a sieve out of my hot side. I'm also going to throw in a 30# spring in new actuator and see what that does. It'll be reassuring to get anything to change at this point.

Most internal wastegates blow open at twice their rating... Makes me wonder if Taiwanese Fantastic used the number for blowing open as a rating? After all, my 15# spring maxed out at 15. My thinking is either the spring is falsely advertised or cracks in my hotside.

mk2davis

I know, I know. Many of you have been waiting with baited breath.

Turns out I'm also leaking like a sieve on the intake side too. I got a new BOV from TurboSmart, PN TS-0203-1226, for a GTR that fits the flange perfectly! If only my flange was flat... It came with a new paper gasket (I've read that new OEM BOV's come with metal gaskets?), but once mounted it was still leaking. I didnt' want to do it, but I RTV'ed with Grey and it's currently curing. If the IC piping comes out when I install the Evo IX IC, then I'll flatten the flange with a file and reinstall. So sometime tomorrow I'll do another boost leak and hopefully the BOV will be solved.

Then my only other known leak will be from number 3 injector, which surprises me. Those o rings are only 4-6 years old. I had them cleaned and flowed by RC Eng back then, and reinstalled with the supplied new o rings. Maybe I didn't use enough lube on number 3 and it tore? All I know is once pressurized, the soapy water spits, not bubbles, because the leak is significant. Oddly enough, I can stop the leak by rotating the injector, but this does not seem to be a permanent fix.

Once I get these leaks sorted out, I'll start with the new IC conversion

mk2davis

Finally made some progress. Flattened the flange of the BOV, so that seals. Completed the FMIC, and did the BLT good for 25#. Also redid the injector seals because those were leaking. I do have a little leak at the throttle body axle, which is frustrating because I did that not too many years ago.

When I was doing my BLT, the BOV kept opening up intentionally to let air bypass. I figured out that I needed to actuate the TB butterfly to let the boost into the IM so the BOV can see boost on the topside too. That way the BOV stays shut during high boost acceleration.

KiNgMaRtY

FP use to sell the FP68 HTA with the stock appearing housing. You can see if they can custom one up for you or as mentioned contact Justin.
To get you at that 400 level, you will want to swap out the 190 for a 255 Walbroh and bigger injectors. You will also need to step up to the 2g DSM or Evo Maf.

mk2davis

Thanks for the heads up. I have a Evo Maf, although using it gives me tons of false knock. Like 2% throttle, 1800rpm, no boost, what the h-.... I get phantom knock anyways, but with the 399 MAF I get more for some reason. 100 oct, still get counts.
The 399 with an open air filter (ie not in a can), so maybe with my FMIC the car will be happier. IAT with the Evo maf is higher than the stock set up.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Classifieds Listings