The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Matte black GVR4?

Drew84

You could plastidip it black, then peel it off when you get sick of it.

Last edited:

mikus

matte black has been done to death. I still think an olive drab is the way to go on a vr4 and may still do it if I get some bodywork downtime. It works on ugly cars and implies badassery. Whereas matte black cars are about the same as Affliction shirts anymore.

img.php

2000GTX

I've always felt that matte paint always screams "I PAINTED THIS IN MY GARAGE HOW COOL AM I?"

thats just my .02

citymunky

Quoting Drew84:
You could plastidip it black, then peel it off when you get sick of it.

That's the plan.

citymunky

Quoting mikus:

Nice, that is the Datsun 510 goon was one of the reason I picked up a goon. That guy build a 2JZ-GTE single turbo Datson 510. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

on the other hand I HATE the color green to the point I wish US doller's were blue or something .

Last edited:

citymunky

I might go Two-tone. Gloss black lower half (body cladding), matte/satin black upper half.

driver_side_resize.jpg

citymunky

It was a 7M-GTE at 1st, than he upgraded to the 2JZ-GTE.

citymunky

Found more pic's of a matte black GVR4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GalantFront3.jpg

GalantFront.jpg

GalantFront2.jpg

GalantRear.jpg

91VR41400

Makes the car look like it was wrecked before, or has/had a cheap paint job. Some cars can pull it off. Unless you have NOTHING better else to do with your car, then go for it.

I recently saw a new m5 with one of those paint jobs... looked so bad.

citymunky

I'm going with the two tone black.

Body cladding bumpers gloss black, upper half satin black, with no chrome strip. Amber corners and amber turns lights. 92 tails. If I don't like the 92's ill lighty smoke the 91's and put them back on. The real question I can't myself is what color to paint my 3000GT brakes. Red is so overdone, and petty much and any other color is Rice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

PolskiVR4

Quoting citymunky:
Found more pic's of a matte black GVR4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GalantFront3.jpg

GalantFront.jpg

GalantFront2.jpg

GalantRear.jpg

Thats my car before I bought it. At first I was questionable to whether I would like the matte black, but once I saw it I liked it. This car was done correctly with matte black so it doesnt look like it was done in a garage. The car now has Evo 8 wheels and I have 93 headlights, jdm projector fogs, jdm hood, and jdm rear bumper to go on it and I know it will look great in the matte black. Need to find me some amber corners also.

citymunky

Thanks for posting, My Gram lights are painted Silver so now I got a idea what they might look like on the car.

VR_IV_MR

i originally wanted to do the matte black. I think it looks nice. however, one of the things I enjoy about this car is its sleeper look. right now I have paint fading on my trunk and roof, chipping on the tip of the hood, and I'm missing center caps with brake dust all over my rims, and I kind of like it all... it adds to the "hoopdey effect"--- it makes the victory even more sweet when I pull up to a fat old pompous asshole in his new mercedes with a blond chick younger than me, and I dust him. so when it comes down to it, I think im going to keep the paint that I have and not give two shits about scratches or fading until I have everything else done in the car to my liking (new turbo setup, meth injection, drivetrain parts, the list is long) and maybe when I am done with all of that, I won't care about the car being a sleeper anymore and I will make my decision then.

long story short, I think it looks great for a track car, but for street use I would prefer to keep my true identity in disguise of an old hoopdey with a "hole in the exhaust" hahahahah /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

FCR

Olson

I wonder how durable the plasti dip is

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned