The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

matching tires

mikus

I've been reading up on the matching tires topic as I need a set of winter tires, there's mixed inputs everywhere. Looks like one would at least want the same brand and reasonably close tread.

I'm going to look at 2002 Eclipse wheels w/ good tires, but f/r are different brands. For $200 it's tempting

How serious is this matching thing? does anyone have either 1) actual, on-DSM experience or 2) super detailed engineer/toybreaker-style input to share?

kooter

If you are talking about putting them on an all wheel drive car.
size and rotation speed are you main concern. At least as far as I understand it.
If the tires spin at different speed's your going to break stuff.

Trans, tranfer, diff.

not good not good.

diffirent tread will make for different traction, different tires could have somewhat different size. even if they are rated the same.
safest thing to do is gonna be to make sure everything matches.

mikus

right, I've read a gazillion threads to that extent, I've worked at a tire shop, I understand the general implications.
I am looking for real, actual DSM experience, or, someone who can sort me out on what significant negative variable is left when I've got two same-size, different-manfacturer tires that measure to the same diameter.

Last edited:

DR1665

If they measure to the same diameter, you should be fine, as this means the tires will be rotating at the same speed (or close enough). The risk is in having a wheel or wheels turning at different speeds. All four must be the same overall diameter. The system is likely designed to handle some variance, as the wheels rotate at different speeds every time you go around a corner (side-to-side), but there's a limit in there somewhere.

Think about why you want a flatbed when the car breaks down. If the fronts are locked in place and the rears are spinning, the result is your least favorite set of paperweights and doorstops. It's the same principle. If you ran different sized tires, I suspect you might get away with it for a little bit, maybe an emergency trip to the parts store or work, but it's not an ideal long term solution.

I've got an annoying high speed shimmy coming from the front right that I thought might have been wheel balance, so I swapped in a different pair of fronts. I got halfway across Phoenix with something like 215/55/15s on the front and 205/55/15s on the rear before I realized there's a 10mm difference in tread width on those, meaning my front tires were 5.5mm taller than the rears. I did about 60 miles at 70mph in 100°F with the AC on before I got back home to swap back over to the matching pair. The car still has the shimmy (probably bent lugs or a worn bushing or some other stupid BS), but even if the tires fixed the problem, there was no way I wanted to keep driving like that.

Anyway, not as technical as toybreaker, but I hope it helps.

GSX_TC

Dude as long as the tires are the same size the brand doesnt matter man. your not going to break anything Lol. I run Khumo's up front and Pirellis in the rear both brands are 225/40's and car drives great.

as long as the circumference is the same you will be fine. any difference, and you will def tear up your differential and/or tc. ive seen it before. i wouldnt drive an awd car 5 miles with different sized tires. and a 245.50.17 tire has a different circumference than a 225.50.17. height is not everything when calculating circumference. diameter is not that important when speaking in these terms.

click

14u2nV

It won't hurt to run 4 different tires, as long as they are all the same size. If the system were that sensitive, every time you lost 5lbs of pressure in one tire, it would fry your drivetrain. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned